I wanted to show you more photos from my trip last weekend. Just a glimpse of the beaches and villages in Sri Lanka ...
![]() |
| Indian ocean. |
![]() |
| Tangalle beach. |
![]() |
| A rice field. |
![]() |
| A roadside stall that sells handcrafted items. These are made of coconut and palymyrah palm leaves, cane and bamboo. |
![]() |
| An empty stall. |
![]() |
| We bought fresh king coconuts and peanuts from this stall. |
![]() |
| A bunch of king coconuts. Thirst quenching fresh king coocnut water is very polpular in Sri Lanka. |
On this trip we visited mom's ancestral home and my uncle, mom's youngest brother. Uncle enjoys gardening and his yard is full of flowers, fruits and vegetables.
![]() |
| Rambutan (Nephelium lappaceum) is a fruit native to Indonesia. |
![]() |
| Bakini (Nauclea orientalis) |
![]() |
| Can you see the buffalo ? |
XX
Nil












The land looks lush in your photos, Nil. Thank you for sharing them. I love the little roadside stall and baskets and I did spot that buffalo!
ReplyDeleteMegXx
My sisters bought several baskets from that stall. I bought a pencil case. They are well made and less expensive than the ones sold at shops in the city. 😊
DeleteWhat a beautiful area! Andrea
ReplyDeleteIt’s really beautiful, isn’t it? And I love the villages free of crowds and traffic.
DeleteThe vegetation there is beautiful, Nil. I love seeing all of the different plants. Yes, I saw the buffalo. How exciting!
ReplyDeleteThe owner of that buffalo leaves it in my uncles’s property because there’s grass/weed. And uncle gets parts of the property cleaned for free. 😊
DeleteSri Lanka is a beautiful place. So very lush! I see that buffalo.
ReplyDeleteYou should visit Sri Lanka one day, Anita. 😊
DeleteOh my goodness, your photos are gorgeous. This makes me want to travel there!
ReplyDeletePerhaps your next trip? 😊
DeleteLet me get this straight... You are still in Sri Lanka...?
ReplyDeleteSome posts ago, I thought you did a List post, which sounded as if you are home again.
So that's why I am confused.
Yes, Wisps I’m still in Sri Lanka.
Delete😊
All the exotic fruits looks so lovely!! The ocean looks divine. The son of my friend married a girl from Sri Lanka. They live in Iowa. Looks like a lovely trip!! Are from Sri Lanka?
ReplyDeleteYes Angela. My family still lives in Sri Lanka, so I visit them often. 😊
DeleteAwesome! I shall tell Tanyia about you someday ! :)
DeleteBeautiful photos, Nil. The countryside doesn't seem to have changed that much, although, I'm sure there's more development. We used to have a rambutan tree in the garden of my childhood home. :) When you mentioned going to Kataragama, I wondered if you stopped to by any curd on the way! I see the sign advertising it - does it still come in the clay pots?
ReplyDeleteThere’s more development closer to Hambamthota, Bless. New roads, hospitals, an airport etc. it’s completely different. But the towns in between Matara and Thussamaharama look still the same.
DeleteWe didn’t buy curd on the way. My relatives said curd makers wouldn’t milk cows that weekend because of Poson, so we thought the curd sold at the stalls that weekend couldn’t be very fresh. Otherwise they would have made a special order for us, as mom doesn’t like buying curd from unknown makers. Yes, they still come in clay pots. 😊
It certainly is a beautiful country, Nil. That fruit looks very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI read that there’s a type of Bakini grows in Australia, Chel. I wonder if you have seen them.
DeleteNo Nil, I have never heard of them.
Deleteso wonderful to see these little glimpses of Sri Lanken life...pls post more!
ReplyDeleteI will Sue, perhaps next week. 😊
DeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteThanks R'a Rue. And thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)
DeleteSuch beautiful lush scenery Nil. It must have been lovely for you to visit home. Home always makes the heart sing, doesn't it? cheers sherry
ReplyDeleteIt really does Sherry. There's nothing like visiting my family and staying where I grew up. :)
DeleteThanks Nil for this tour, I really enjoyed it very much.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure, Beatrice. :)
DeleteWow it looks so beautiful there.
ReplyDeleteThanks Akasha. :)
DeleteSo beautiful, Nil. I just love looking at them especially the roadside stall.
ReplyDeleteThanks Belinda. :)
DeleteIt's lovely to see the Indian Ocean for a change Nil, and the area looks lush and very productive. How wonderful to have your origins in such an interesting place. I love roadside stalls to shop at don't you? Great photos, thanks for sharing. Cheers, Pauline
ReplyDeleteRoadside stalls are very common here, especially in rural areas. I too love them. 😊
DeleteThose are fascinating images. Visiting relatives means you see things in a very different way than a tourist would see them, and take different and beautiful photos.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com