This past Sunday we had an almsgiving at home in memory of my dad, to mark his 3rd death anniversary. I wrote about the last year’s almsgiving here.
The menu had curd as one of the desserts. Curd made from buffalo milk is a famous dessert in Sri Lanka. It’s thicker and creamier than curd made from cow milk. The southernmost towns are famous for buffalo milk curd, and since many of my relatives live there, they all brought pots of curd resulting an abundance of curd.
![]() |
| Curd with syrup/treacle made from fishtail palm. |
This morning I noticed several flowers on mom’s passion fruit vine. My vacation will be over by the time fruits appear. π Passion fruit juice is one of my favorite drinks.
![]() |
| A passionfruit flower. |
The week was a busy one, first preparing for the almsgiving, and then cleaning up. One of my sisters asked for a dishcloth, so I bought yarn to crcohet one using either single or half double crochet. So far I've done two dishcloths and didn't have time to practice a new stitch. The photo below is my first half double crochet dishcloth. I think the edges are a bit better now, though I need more practice.
![]() |
| Half double crochet dishcloth. |
How is your week going?
XX
Nil




Hi Nil, looks like you are having a lovely time visiting with your family. I have never had curd of any type, so thanks for the explanation in your post. Is this served as a treat? Also, to answer your question about our stops in FL, I have not yet posted about those since my blog is behind where we have actually visited. But, we had 2 stops in FL in Niceville and Fernandina Beach where my husband visited a Navy friend and a cousin.
ReplyDeleteYes, Beatrice. Curd is used as a dessert.
DeleteI look forward to reading your post about FL. π
I had never heard of almsgiving until I started following Bless a few years ago. I think it is such a lovely tradition.
ReplyDeleteI have also never tried milk curds of any kind unless they are what I have eaten as cheese curds.
I’ve never tried cheese curds. So I had to Google it. π
DeleteWhen making the curd I mentioned here, there is no curdling. The method is similar to making yogurt, because a bit of curd is added to boiled and cooled milk so it begins to ferment and set.
I learn so much about food and customs from your blog. I loved the pictures of the bakery truck in a previous post! I hope you're enjoying your vacation. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Bobi
ReplyDeleteThanks Bobi. π The vacation is almost over, but it’s been great.
DeleteWe have those flowers here in Houston, but they are more purple
ReplyDeleteThere are purple passion fruits, so their flowers may be more purplish. I have a passion fruit vine in FL, but it has not produced a single flower yet.
DeleteAlmost no almsgiving is complete without curd or yogurt, is it? Your crocheted dishcloth looks nice. Looks like you are getting the hang of crocheting! Enjoy the last few days of your vacation. I'm not sure when you are flying back, but, have a safe journey.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bless. π
DeleteThe last week of the vacation is the busiest.
How lovely to remember your dad with the almsgiving ceremony. I had to google curds, it turns out it is something I love to eat as a child. I don't think it is very popular in Britain but I might be wrong. My week is going too fast :-) but otherwise ok.
ReplyDeleteI didn’t know curd was popular in Britain. The curd we have in Sri Lanka is similar to yogurt. I’ve heard that curd is popular in India as well, so perhaps British brought it from India?
DeleteThe curd looks very tempting! I tried curd when I was working in India and I liked it. Your passion flower looks like the one my neighbor has in his yard. I don't think it has ever produced any fruit.
ReplyDeleteThe curd does resemble the texture of yogurt, perhaps a bit "thicker."
ReplyDeleteYou are having a lovely vacation at home...
Gentle hugs,
✨✨✨✨✨
Buffalo curd...that is so interesting. That passion flower is exquisite! It looks like you are having a wonderful visit.
ReplyDeleteNil, although sad, I'm sure the presence of family sweetened the gathering. My husband's side is a great one for family gatherings and I've always enjoyed them; I hope yours gave you lovely memories to take back to the States.
ReplyDeleteI did not know about the way you take curd in the Sri Lankan tradition so I learned something today.
Have a safe trip home, Nil.
Thank you Caitlynne.
DeleteYes, it was very nice to see my cousins, their kids etc. we only meet once a year or so, so those meetings are precious. π
That dessert sounds great!! The sauce must be delicious. Great away to honor your dad. Nice crochet work! I love passion flowers, wish it could grow here.
ReplyDeleteThanks Angela. I’m still practicing basic crochet stitches.π
DeleteI love hearing about your remembrance ritual for your dear dad, such a lovely thing to do. I love buffalo curd, had it all the time with jaggery In India, but also in Sri Lannka with palm syrup. Your crocheted cloth looks good. Nearly time for sad farewells.....or perhaps you're on the way already.....safe trip Nil.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nanette. π
Delete