Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Random Photos

Here are some random photos  - streets in Colombo suburbs, mom's garden and more photos of Sri Lankan food.


A street decorated with Buddhist flags (left) and the national flag.

The Three wheeler is an inexpensive and a popular method of transportation.

Mom's yard on a rainy day.

An abandoned bird's nest.

Butterfly pea flower tea. 

Butterfly pea flower tea has no flavor. I steeped several flowers in hot water, and added some lime juice. Here you can find more information about the flower and its health benefits.

Sri Lankan breakfast - Purple yam (left) and black-eyed peas (right).

XX
Nil



34 comments:

  1. Your mom's garden is beautiful as is your tea:-) How funny that there is a "Fashion Bug" over there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterfly Tea Flower Tea!!!!! Ohhhh how pretty!!!!!!! Is this flower, similar to our Sweet Pea I wonder? Seems they look similar. Sweet Peas come in different colors...

    ✨πŸ’›✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit different, Wisps.
      Butterfly pea flower also comes in white. It’s a vine and Sri Lankans make porridge from its leaves.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos! I haven't been back since 1990 - I probably wouldn't recognize the place at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, yes you wouldn’t recognize. Things have changed a lot, especially after 2009. The first photo is near Nawinna on Highlevel road, and the other one was taken in the middle of Nugegoda overpass.

      I come every year and still I can’t recognize some areas. 😊

      Delete
  4. What great pictures, Nil. I have never heard of that tea but the name is as pretty as the drink itself. I hope you had a wonderful day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea is initially bright blue , Diana. Then it turned purplish once I added lime juice. 😊

      Delete
  5. I am fortunate to have visited Sri Lanka. Your photos bring back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo I do love having a 'nose around' that garden with you. Does it rain most afternoons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rains most mornings these days , Sue. Even now it’s gloomy and overcast. 🌧

      Delete
  7. they make gin here with the butterfly pea - it ends up such a glorious colour. love your mum's garden, and those three wheelers look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never heard of gin made with butterfly pea. Off to google the recipe... 😊

      Delete
  8. I've seen such a beautiful glass of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s more beautiful without lime juice, Priscilla. It had a bright blue color.

      Delete
  9. Even if the tea has no flavor, Nil, I would like the color as purple is my favorite hue. Thanks for showing these photos as I do enjoy seeing parts of the world I would never see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty color and full of antioxidants. So I like it even without any flavor. 😊

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your mother's yard looks so lush. The butterfly pea flower tea is an amazing color. Does it stain when spilled?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very healthy eating! Your mom's yard looks so lush and nice. It is neat to see the streets. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the rainy season, Andrea. So everything is so green. 😊

      Delete
  12. Purple foods are very enticing! Purple tea and purple sweet potatoes... neat.

    I’m glad I helped you find a new mystery series, and I hope you like it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m going to soon start reading the 1st Bruno novel, Mae. At the moment I’m reading a nonfiction. 😊

      Delete
  13. Lovely to see photos of your country and food, I remember eating purple yams and really enjoying them. Such pretty tea, I wonder if you could dye with the liquid (just a random thought Nil, I look at all sorts of things as potential dyes😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know if it can be used as a dye, Nanette. I don’t think it stains. I’ll check. 😊

      Delete
    2. Spill it on your mum's best cloth Nil, then we'll know πŸ˜„

      Delete
    3. LOL Whenever we spill something on the countertop we are supposed to wipe it off right away. That’s one if mom’s rules. That’s why I still don’t know if these flowers stain. 😁

      Delete
  14. Wow, those foods are all so healthy. I love the color of that purple tea and flower. The little bird's nest is really sweet, too. It looks like you are surrounded by nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stephenie there are many trees in the yard. And lots of birds and squirrels. 😊

      Delete
  15. You are really making me want to travel! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In the east coast of Malaysia, the purple flower is used as a coloring for the rice in a dish called Nasi Kerabu. The flower is called ‘bunga talang’. Like you Nil, I love its subtle taste infused as a hot beverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Su’ad. I didn't know it can be used as a food coloring. I Googled and found recipes for Nasi Kerabu. It looks so pretty.
      Nasi goreng is very popular in Sri Lanka, but I don't think Sri Lankans make Nasi Kerabu.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻