I find people on these videos very inspiring. I know in this day and age it's almost impossible to be 100% self sufficient. I don't plan to be. But a simple, debt free life is very appealing to me.
I'd like to share some of the videos I enjoyed with you.
1) Backyard farmers by necessity: self sufficient and debt free
This is about the life of an older couple. They have been growing organic produce for over 50 years. I really like Earl's cork board that makes holes for sowing seeds. I wish Earl and Myrna were my neighbors. "Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road." 💗
2) Living a radically simple permaculture life
This video is about a small family in Victoria, Australia. Just like Earl and Myrna, Meg and Patrick grow most of their food and live a simple life. See how happy their little son is. He is adorable.
3) How a family of 5 makes almost zero waste
This is another very inspiring video about a family in Tasmania, who creates very little trash. In 2 1/2 years Lauren, Oberon and their three daughters filled just one small jar of waste. Honestly I don't think I can do it to that extent. However I know that simply putting stuff in the recycling bin is not a good solution. As long as we send our waste to developing countries, we don't see how much waste we create. A little by little, most developing countries have begun not to take containers of trash from other countries. I think when we start seeing landfills in our own backyards, people will (hopefully) understand how serious the problem is.
4) Great depression cooking - poor man's feat
I first found Clara's videos about 5-6 years ago. She had already passed away by that time. I was instantly in love with her personality. This is one of many videos created by Clara's grandson. You can read more about Clara here.
5) Canning garden vegetables - At home with P. Allen Smith
Years ago I used to watch P. Allen Smith's show on PBS. I'd like to learn how to preserve vegetables and fruit. I've been reading and watching videos about canning, and found this short (4 minutes) and simple video about canning peppers using water bath method.
6) Pressure canning for beginners
This is about pressure canning. The video is a bit longer than the other videos posted here, but still it's very informative and she explains everything in detail.
I hope you enjoy these videos as much as I did.
XXX
Nil
Thanks Nil. I will check out the videos. My hubby has been watching lots of YouTube videos about compost, wood ash etc. and suddenly we have a huge pile of compost and leaf mould. LOL! He always gardened a lot until the last few years so I am pleased that he is getting back into it even though we only have ourselves to feed these days.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these videos. I too am spending a lot of time watching people grow and preserve their own produce. I want to learn how to can vegetables. There's only so much jam and chutney that one family can eat but the process of canning/bottling fascinates me. Byther Farm on you tube is a great series of self sufficiency videos from a lady called Liz Zorab in England
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the links to all these very informative videos! I watched them all, but, didn't quite finish watching the last one. Partly because I don't have a pressure canner, yet. It's something I've thought about getting, though. I liked the backyard gardening/farming videos, the best. I do like the concept of a zero waste lifestyle, but, it's a little harder to achieve, especially during these days, when supplies are being delivered in boxes with a lot of packing material! I do reuse the boxes in the garden as mulch to the extent possible, but, haven't yet figured what to do with the air-filled plastic pouches!
ReplyDeleteSome interesting videos there Nil, I look forward to watching them. Heather at Northridge Farm.....that's her blog name too.....has lots of good informmation about growing, canning and preserving. She's in Maine or New Hampshire I think.
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed Clara's Depression cooking videos, too. Good list, thanks for rounding them up!
ReplyDeleteThanks Nil. I will have a look at some of these later, especially the zero waste one.
ReplyDeleteYears ago we watched a British sitcom called The Good Life, starring Felicity Kendall, which was about a couple converting their home to self sufficiency. I loved that show, and really it was way ahead of its time, and also very funny. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00732tl
ReplyDeleteI will watch these videos gradually as I am feeling in need of some inspiration even though in our house we are doing our best for the environment.Whilst total self sufficiency is a big ask, we can all be doing so much more, and might need to the way the world is going. Thanks for sharing these Nil. Please stay well and vigilant. xx
I am interested in these kinds of things. Clara peaks my interest the most. I like P Allen also. Thank you for telling me about these. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Nil. The simple, debt free life is very appealing to me as well. I've saved the videos to watch later. They look very interesting. I hope you have a good weekend.
ReplyDeleteSome interesting viewing there, Nil. Thank you for the links. X
ReplyDeleteThanks for providing some interesting links. Happy Friday!
ReplyDeleteLoved Earl and Myrna's video. I am going to start saving (and begging friends to save theirs) wine bottle corks to make the holes in the planting bed. What a brilliant idea! I think with all the uncertainty in life right now people are going to be more diligent about planting whatever space they have for food. I am al for anything that saves time or simplifies things.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the links Nil. I've seen a few of them but I've not 'met' Clara before....she's so gorgeous! I'll be watching more of her youtube videos for sure. This virus has certainly given us all a chance to slow down, stay home and re-think our values. Have a beautiful weekend.
ReplyDeleteI love Youtube. There are so many interesting and valuable videos to watch. Thanks for sharing these. I want to see Clara and watch her videos.
ReplyDeletePleased I subscribe by email to your blog posts as I am able to watch these videos when I have time. I've seen Meg and Patrick's video as it was a link
ReplyDeleteon the permaculture living course I'm doing through Milkwood and Milkwood have some articles available to read without becoming a member, that you may find interesting.
I have sprouted seeds, for myself and the hens, made mini greenhouses, seed saved and foraged for free resources as well as growing fruit, vegetables and herbs. Though I've created a sourdough starter I have yet to make kefir or kraut so they are both on my list to do before the end of this year.
Thanks, Nil, and the videos, except the last one as we no longer have a garden, but when we did we enjoyed the fresh vegetables and did a little canning of salsa and tomato sauce. I was very impressed with Clara's Depression Cooking maybe more so because it was also the name of my late mother who lived through those years as well.
ReplyDeleteOh-to be able to live very simply, huh? We make so much ado about 'having' and'needing' and 'using', don't we? I am going to go watch some of the videos you put here-starting with Clara's! xo Diana
ReplyDeleteClara is so cute; I've watched her in the past. I am surprised at how little trash I create each week. Most of mine goes in the compost bin. I buy in bulk, and get lots of my produce at our local co-op, so that helps. They just put our fruits and vegetables in a basket that we bring every two weeks. Growing so much food helps, too. Thanks for the links.
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing the research for us! I will look at some of those...I've already found # 4 and used to watch #5's PBS show. I think the pressure canning one will be useful! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThanks for lots of links, Nil. I'm looking forward to watching these later in week when I'm not working outside home. There are always things to learn from others. MegXx
ReplyDeleteoh yes i watched some of those Depression cooking videos a few years ago. wasn't she marvellous?
ReplyDelete