Sunday, December 13, 2020

Weekly Chit Chat & WPSH 2020 Photos

                                                                            


I had a relaxing week.  I was able to turn in official grades on Monday. My plan was to relax for a couple of days and then start preparing for the next semester. I did the syllabus for one course, but I really was not in a mood to do anything else.  Even thinking about it stressed me out. So I decided to take a full week to relax. Tomorrow I will finish work for one course. Hopefully. 😶

I made an Indian food called Urad dal vada. They are deep fried patties made of split and skinned black gram (Urad dal).  It was the first time I made it, so I used only 1 cup of Urad dal. It was not enough. I had 7 small patties. If you'd like to try, here's a similar recipe (I didn't use cilantro and sautéed onions and chilies before adding to the batter).

I finished another beanie. 


I spent too much time watching detective stories on Hoopla, and now I have only 1 more program left for this month. 😕

Eggplant

There's not much happening in the garden. I picked a green papaya and cooked it with grated coconut.
A small eggplant appeared, and I think it will be ready in a week or so. Cranberry hibiscus plants are infested with something like aphids, and there are white patches on leaves. 


My sourdough starter experiment is going so slowly. I measured the amounts incorrectly and had to start again. From the 3rd day onward you are supposed to feed it twice a day. By the end of the 5th day, the starter should double. Friend S said her starter didn't expand, so she decided to feed it once a day.  I decided to do the same, and fed it once on the 4th day. Today is the 5th day and several hours after feeding it looked like this.



This morning I went to a store to pick up an online order. While there, I took these photos for winter photo scavenger hunt. 😀

2) Round and round



6) Horizontal


8) A sign of the times




Have a wonderful week, all. Stay safe. 🌷🌷🌷


XXX
Nil

20 comments:

  1. That Indian dish looks delicious. I love green chiles and cilantro. Love your photos! So glad to hear that you finally got some time off. There is always Youtube, if you want to watch more stuff. (and it's free...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on starting the hunt. I especially like your round and round photo - well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a week completely off is a very good idea indeed. Enjoy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Urad dal vada looks so good, Nil. Your little eggplant is cute too. Enjoy your Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, you made ulundu vada! Yum! I like the colors in the yarn you used for the hat. Your picture for 'round and round' and the 'sign of the times' is just perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your week off and I'm happy for you that your grades are in. Your food looks very good. Cute little eggplant! Good luck with the aphids. You'll have to show us your sourdough when it is ready. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I want to make your Indian dish! It sounds and looks mighty delicious! My stepbrother and his wife were missionaries in India for 30 years... when they came home for visits they always made different Indian foods for everyone to try. It was fun to have food parties with them! // I really like the colors you chose fornthe beanie - very cute!! // On your hibiscus -- First, spray the aphids off with as strong a stream of water as you can, best to do this in the cooler temps of the morning. That will basically drown them anyway. Then, use one if these two.... Neem oil is the best to fight off your ahpids, but be sure to spray ALL parts of the plants... or get some pyrethrum and follow package directions for mixing to use. Both work well and we used those when I worked at the garden center and I use them in my own gardening. If you bring anything inside, be sure to wash/rinse whatever it is well. Hope these work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. Hibiscus trees are completely covered with aphids. I think I'm going to first prune it and then follow your suggestions (spray with water and apply neem oil). They are too leggy anyway. :)

      Delete
  8. Your sourdough has bubbles! Excellent! I am glad you took a week off. YOu will be fresher for it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nil, I have been wondering how your starter is going. It looks like it is very happy at the moment 😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your week looks relaxing, busy in the kitchen. I love vada, were my favourite railway station food to take back on the train. I might make some now you've reminded me.
    Enjoy the rest of your break Nil x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect, little eggplant, and a nice beanie! Sorry to hear about the cranberry hibiscus plant.:-( Good photos for the photo scavenger hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your sourdough starter! My husband has been feeding his weekly for a couple of years, and is now feeding one wheat and one rye starter. We think of them as little colonies that live in our refrigerator and are our little friends -- unlike many people who have a name for their starter as an entity. I hope your friends flourish and that you bake good bread.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never had any luck beginning a starter. I am pretty sure it is user error though,so I am extremely impressed with yours!
    Get some rest before getting back to class prep!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the beanie. I need more beanies in my life, especially as the weather has turned much colder.
    I'm watching your sourdough starter with great interest. I might even give it another try myself. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hat looks good, Nil, and I really liked the colors. I may not try the patties, but yours did look delicious. Hopefully the sourdough starter will work for you, but not something I have ever been interested in trying. Too bad the aphids descended on the cranberry hibiscus plant, but the eggplant looked like it was doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you had a relaxing week. I love detective shows but I can't get hoopla. Love your hat and will try the recipe. Looks interesting. Have a good week and all my best for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had a whole week off, Nil. A longer break like that, when it's possible, helps to feel more relaxed. I have been reading a lot of books as we are at the beach on holiday. I did borrow a few dvds from library too but just haven't felt like watching tv. Perhaps, I'll do that when we get back home again. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the eggplant

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the eggplant. I’ve tried to comment on some of your posts but having trouble commenting at all. Loved your Paris memories.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻