I finished grading all final exams by Friday. I plan to submit official grades tomorrow. It feels wonderful to have a whole weekend without making assignments and grading. π
Days are cooler now. It's around 70F (~ 21C) today. Sometimes it's a bit too cold for me, so occasionally I turn on the heater.
I am making sourdough starter. Several years ago I've tried it once, and forgot to feed the starter after a couple of days. A friend of mine also recently had a failed attempt, so we decided to try it together. I'm trying this recipe.
| Sourdough starter - Day 1 and 2 |
On Saturday I did some cleaning, cooking, and crocheting. I started another beanie. I also watched Inspector Lewis on Hoopla. Then I had a very long chat (3 hours!) with a friend. We met in high school, and also went to the same university as undergrads. She is a final year PhD student in another state, a wife, and a mother of a 7 year old kid so we don't get to talk a lot. It was nice to catch up after a long time.
Today has been another relaxing day. Another episode of Inspector Lewis, more crocheting and an afternoon nap made it a very restful Sunday.
I picked another papaya.
While searching for crochet patterns, I saw some patterns done with symbols. I've never used those, but I'd like to learn how to use them. For now, I find it easier to read written instructions, or follow a YouTube tutorial. I found this guide on a Facebook page and printed it out. It has both US, UK and Sinhalese crochet terms and symbols.
If you crochet, do you follow symbol patterns? What method do you find easier?
This week I'm grateful for
1) chats with Mom & sister, and friend L
2) the end of another semester
3) homegrown papaya and passion fruits
4) thrifted yarn for crocheting
5) cooler days
6) my favorite detective stories on Hoopla
7) friend S for doing the sourdough experiment with me π
Have wonderful week everyone. Stay safe. πΌπΌπΌ
XXX
Nil

Big sigh of relief, you can relax for a while. Lewis is a favourite of mine too, we get it free to air here ✔
ReplyDeleteI follow letters. I'm afraid I find the symbols really hard to understand but maybe that's because I don't work at it much. The symbols seem to be the same wherever the pattern comes from and that has to be a good thing.
ReplyDeletexx
Grading is such hard work and I am really happy to read you got it all done before the weekend! Talking to an old friend is balm for the soul. Good luck with the sourdough starter, well worth the effort. I love sourdough bread with butter and jam. Have a really good week x
ReplyDeleteEnjoy! I am happy for your winter break for you! Andrea
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with your sourdough. I tried one earlier in the year but it didn't work for me. X
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sourdough starter. I have never tried it myself, but did explain the process to a group of Girl Scouts who visited the historic adobe farmstead where I am a docent. How wonderful you have finished your obligations and can now enjoy a break.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a work free weekend and it sounds like you made the most of it. I've been watching the Lewis repeats as well. It's one of my favourite programmes.
ReplyDeleteYay! So glad to hear that winter break has begun! Good luck with the sour dough starter! I like your crochet stitch chart! I prefer written instructions to symbols, but, sometimes, it leads to a bit of confusion between the UK patterns and US patterns. There's less confusion with the symbols. Freshly picked papaya! Yum! Hope you have a nice, relaxing week ahead!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sourdough. I have made the NY Times no knead bread with apple cider vinegar, but have not done it your way. How nice to have a three hour chat with a friend. I cherish my long phone conversations with close friends, especially now, during lockdown.
ReplyDeleteMy mother crocheted but I never learned. She used to make baby blankets. What a relief to have a break! Enjoy it and that fabulous looking papaya.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the sourdough starter Nil and have a good week!
So glad that you are being able to enjoy your winter break.
ReplyDeleteI prefer written instructions when I crochet but lately have found that a schematic / symbol graph has been nice to have as well for those times when I can't quite make sense of the written instructions. As Joy pointed out that using a schematic / symbol graph will let you use patterns for all different parts of the world.
I also enjoy watching Inspector Lewis and of course Inspector Morse, the MidSomers Murder Mysteries and The Brokenwood Murder Mysteries and if your looking for a bit of humor there is always Agatha Raisin.
I hope you are able to continue to enjoy your winter break. Take Care and Stay Safe.
Karon
Paso Robles, CA, USA
Rest and relax on your winter break, Nil, as you certainly earned it and before I forget -- best wishes for a very Merry Christmas -- even though like so many of us, you will be separated by family. Thank goodness for video chats! Glad you were able to chat with a friend and I have been doing the same in recent weeks. Hope the sourdough bread started works OK as it's something I have never tried, but a good friend is telling me to do so. Those British mysteries are such fun to watch!
ReplyDeleteA friend gave me some sour dough starter, it has been very good so far after the first failed attempt at keeping it going, wish I could give you some, it is the best mix and she gave me lots of hints and tips on how to maintain it and keep it in the fridge and freezer when not in use. I will make a post about it on my blog
ReplyDeleteGood luck