Did you see the great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn? According to NASA website "The planets regularly appear to pass each other in the solar system, with the positions of Jupiter and Saturn being aligned in the sky about once every 20 years... It’s been nearly 400 years since the planets passed this close to each other in the sky, and nearly 800 years since the alignment of Saturn and Jupiter occurred at night, as it will for 2020, allowing nearly everyone around the world to witness this “great conjunction.”"
It was Cloudy on Dec 21st, but I was able to see the planets several days earlier. Jupiter appeared brighter (the white dot in the photo), and though Saturn is not visible in the photo, it was there.
The highlight of my week was not the conjunction of planets, but making the first loaf of sourdough bread. π It took 10 days for the starter to get bubbly, and finally I made the first loaf on Monday. I had three jars of starter going (I fed portions of discarded mixture in two more jars). I used the recipe given here for the starter, and I used this recipe for making bread.
The dough didn't rise as much, and you can see the bottom portion of the bread is a bit dense. Next time, I'm going to keep it at a warmer place and let it rise longer, though I did keep it overnight. I read on "Clever Carrot" blog that you can test the starter by placing about a teaspoon of starter in water. If it floats, that means the starter is ready. Mine did that, so I can't really understand why the bread was a bit dense. Can any sourdough expert help, please? π
I spent sometime practicing granny squares, and also made another hat using this pattern.
Nil


Your sourdough will improve with use. Did you have the oven really hot? I cook mine at 240C for 35 minutes before turning it down to 180 for a further 15 minutes. Your room temperature is important too -try using a slightly warm wheat bag under the bowl to help it stay warm, or wrap it in a blanket.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your sourdough. You've encouraged me to give it another try, perhaps in the New Year. X
ReplyDeleteIt was too cloudy here so I didn't get to see the planets.
ReplyDeleteI like your new hat. You've chosen a lovely colour. I can't help with the sourdough question but hope that someone can help you out.
It sounds like you need to have a proper break. You must be exhausted by all the extra work involved in the preparation and delivery of your courses online and I'm sure the colder weather doesn't help at all. Hot chocolate is a good remedy though!
I'm no sourdough expert, but the bread looks beautiful and delicious despite any imperfections. I hope you get some winter-break rest and rejuvenation!
ReplyDeleteWe have lot of tree cower here, so I didn't see them here, but have seen some very good photos of Jupiter and Saturn. The sourdough looks so good. We like it here too. I hope you enjoy your break and don't work too hard, Nil.
ReplyDeleteBetween the volcano eruption and the planet conjunction it has been an exciting week for me! We had really good viewing until last night when the fog and clouds rolled in. Good luck with your sourdough. Steve likes a really dense bread so yours looks about right to me.
ReplyDeleteI've yet to make sourdough out of the starter I made, I forgot all about it. I get the itch to make it, and then I just make the overnight sourdough bread which really comes out good. Yours looks good. Merry Blessed Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI don't know anything about sourdough bread, although I've been wanting to make some, myself! Your loaf of bread looks good, though.
ReplyDeleteI do wish that you could take a break from your work! You shouldn't have to spend your winter vacation preparing for the next semester!
The heavy cloud cover did not allow us to see the great conjunction which was very disappointing. I can't help you out with the sourdough bread. However I CAN wish you a Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThe bread looks wonderful, Nil, and I have also had bread that turned out a bit dense but we ate it anyway. I hope you had a nice Christmas holiday and wish you all the best for a Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI haven't mastered ordinary bread let alone sourdough, Nil. Your loaf looks good and I expect it will be one of those things that gets better and better the more you practice it. Work sounds like it is creeping into your life too often and your wanting that balance to do some of the things you love without thinking about work. I don't miss all the after hours prep of my former teaching role one bit! No more late nights or weekends working and I feel the better for it thought my bank balance is nowhere near as healthy...that's probably the trade off! MegXx
ReplyDeleteI have never attempted to make sourdough bread although it is one of our favorites. I love the hat pattern that you used- the hat is adorable. I was not aware of the Jupiter and Saturn appearances. We totally missed it.
ReplyDelete