Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Happenings in the backyard

 


All the raised beds built about 6 years ago were collapsing, so I removed a couple, and reinforced one with new pieces of wood. I also bought a shadecloth to install above the bed. Yesterday I transplanted okra seedlings there. Some unknown bug is eating sqush leaves, so I planted Cuban oregano around squash. I am not sure if it is true, but a friend told me that Cuban oregano repels bugs and other harmful critters.  

Speaking of  bugs and critters, now I have a cage around pineapple plants to protect fruit from squirrels. There is already a pineapple growing there. These are all grown from the crowns of store bought pineapples.



There is also a lemon. This little tree only gives one lemon per year. Can’t complain though, because I had been neglecting the yard for the past several months.

I think my passion fruit vines are dead. They used to produce lots of fruit during summer months, but there is not a single flower this time. 

I had to treat the mango tree in the front yard with copper based fungicide because brown spots started appearing on leaves, and then edges of the leaves also turned brown. The entire tree looked like it was dying. I sprayed the entire tree (had to use a ladder), cleaned around the base of the tree and fertilized with a citrus-mango fertilizer. 

This is how it looked like before.


Now it looks much healthier. 


Purple yam vines are also growing nicely.


My latest project is trying to germinate Royal Poinciana seeds. 😀 

What's growing in your yard? 


Take care everyone. Stay safe. 🌻🌻🌻

XXX

Nil

12 comments:

  1. You are busy! Congrats on that mango tree. I looks so nice and healthy now. The pineapple plants look good...I think that caging should protect them. As for the squash, it is hard to fight off the bugs. Your yard is so nice...you have a nice view. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea. Each time I try growing squash, something or otger happens and it dies. 🙁

      Delete
  2. I used to have a really big vegetable garden, but when we moved the neighbors all have their lawns professionally sprayed for weeds and the run off comes into my yard so I don't want to grow vegetables. I do grow some herbs in pots on my deck. I have oregano, lemon verbena, basil, and mint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my neighbors don't spray chemical as they don't have lawns. You must miss your previous garden.

      Delete
  3. The mango tree looks great! Bugs will be bugs though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is coming along nicely! I love the little pineapple plantation! I've tried to grow pineapples with very little success. Glad to see that the mango tree is doing well after the copper treatment. I'm sure you are looking forward to picking mangos from your own tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it will take years. My neighbor has a tree full of mangoes, though. And I am allowed to pick the ones hanging over the fence. 😁

      Delete
  5. It's lovely to see the difference in the mango tree. It looks so much healthier now.
    I'm going to post some photographs from my garden this weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I love everything you are doing in your yard, Nil. How neat that you grew those pineapples from the tops of store bought ones. The shade screen is great and will definitely help as I know how hot it gets under the sun there,

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we no longer have a house and garden, Nil, there is nothing growing here. Using the Cuban oregano as a pest deterrent sounds like a good plan instead of an insecticide and hope it works. How exciting too that you have a pineapple growing and hope you will get more with the squirrel you installed.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻