1) Cooking at home. I always cook at home mainly because then I know exactly what's in my meals.
2) Using homegrown greens and herbs. I used curry leaves, basil, green onions and spinach from my yard.
3) Making salad dressing at home. I never buy store bought salad dressing. I make a simple dressing with mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
4) Making 10 liters of laundry liquid. I follow the recipe given in Down to Earth by Rhonda Hetzel.
5) Buying a coffee table from the thrift store. I didn't have a coffee table at the previous apartment. The living room in this house is also small, so I was searching for a small coffee table. The other day I went to a thrift store where they had a 50% discount for furniture and I found a coffee table for $26.49. It has two leaves that fold, but the mechanism is broken. I think once it's fixed and with a new coat of paint, it should look good in my small living room.
| My new coffee table - another thrift store find. |
6) The biggest saving came from my car insurance. The premium went down, saving me $49.50 per month. This will really help me when I try 'living on 50% of my income' challenge in September.
7) I have a severe shortage of storage space in this house. So I plan to add more shelves to the closets in the bathroom and all bedrooms. I found two 7ft ventilated wire shelves at Habitat for Humanity store, $1 per shelf. A brand new one costs about $20, so that's a good saving.
8) One of my credit cards is going to be cancelled next month because I didn't use it for years. When I checked online it had rewards points, so I requested a cash refund. It's not much, about $27 but every bit counts.
9) My frequently used credit card earns cash back on purchases and I applied $200 as a statement credit which will reduce my next credit card payment. I don't use credit cards just to receive points, but it's nice to receive rewards for things I usually buy anyway.
10) I collected spinach and basil seeds from my plants.
| Basil and Malabar spinach seeds. |
What were your frugal activities in July?
All these things add up. I think if we added our fugal savings in a year we would be pleasantly surprised.
ReplyDeleteHaving pantry staples and utilising them has been one of my bigger savings. Milk powder has been so handy.
Cooking and having these staples has kept the kids full and satisfied, they love the taste and it is so much better for them. I haven't purchased many supermarket items for a long time now such as: biscuits, cakes, condensed and carnation milk, dresssings, cleaning products, washing liquids plus much more.
I look forward to seeing your coffee table transformed too.
Well done.
Kylie
You are a very good cook. I don't buy cakes, but I do buy biscuits. Here milk powder is very expensive, so I don't use it at all.
DeleteI love your new table. What a find! I have a small space, too. That's great that you save your garden seeds. I am amazed at your grocery budget. I spend $220.00 per month.
ReplyDeleteStephenie, I usually spend about the same as you on groceries, but reduced the amount to see if it is possible. :)
DeleteNice find on the coffee table! I don't even think you need to paint it because it looks good already.
ReplyDeleteThanks Priscilla. It does look good as is, but I'd like it to match the other furniture in the room. Otherwise my living room is going to look like the furniture section of a thrift store. LOL
DeleteNil, that was a good Op Shop find. Well done. I haven't seen the spending fast on the forum as I have been a bit distracted. LOL! I can say I haven't been shopping for this past week :-)
ReplyDeleteChel, the spending fastvthread is in the finance section.
DeleteStaying home does save money, doesn't it? I'm glad you are on the mend.
Looking forward to see the finished coffee table. My planning on no chocolate for August seems a little bit twee, compared to your frugalness.
ReplyDeleteI always have a bar of dark chocolate in the fridge Deb. I'm frugal in someways, but when it comes to dark chocolate. I'm not. :)
DeleteWhat a good frugal week, you do all the things I also do, all these little things help with the budget don't they.
ReplyDeleteYes, little things do add up. And after a while you have a nice amount saved without a lot of effort. :)
Delete