Sunday, July 21, 2019

Having Fun in the Kitchen 🥘 🍳


I love cooking, especially trying new recipes. Because the college hasn't started yet I have a lot of time for cooking. So these are the things since I returned from the vacation.

Ricotta cheese and almond flour pancakes: These are so fluffy. I normally use 3 eggs, 1/2 cup ricotta, 1/4 cup almond flour, a pinch of salt and a small amount of vanilla extract. Sometimes I also add a tablespoon of flax meal, which makes the batter a bit thicker. 

Ricotta pancakes.

Last week I went to my favorite flea market. Vendors there sell lots of vegetables and fruits common in Sri Lanka. I bought a banana flower, moringa pods (Moringa oleifera) and gotukola (Centella asiatica).

Cooked banana flower:  I had to call mom and ask how to cook banana flower. I removed the tougher outer petals, cut and cored the flower. Then I chopped it finely and put it in ice water.  I  squeezed water out and sauteed it in coconut oil with chopped onions, green chilies, curry powder, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves. At the end I added a small amount of coconut milk.  This is the first time I cooked banana flower. It was good, but not as tasty as mom's. 

Banana flower.

Moringa Curry: My moringa trees are still too small to have pods. I bought pods from the flea market and made a curry. The gravy is made of coconut milk, onions, garlic, green chilies, curry powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds and salt.

Moringa.

Gotukola sambal: Gotukola is a very popular herb in Sri Lanka. It has many health benefits and is used in cooking and also in Ayurveda medicine. I chopped gotukola and mixed it with grated coconut, chopped onions and green chilies, salt, pepper and lime juice.

Gotukola.

Gotuloka porridge: When I was little, mom used to make porridge from different greens, once a week as a part of the breakfast. Because I had enough gotukola, I used some to make a porridge. I processed gotukola in the blender with a little bit of water, a clove of garlic and a small piece of ginger. Then I cooked the mixture with some coconut milk and a handful of already cooked rice (my shortcut as I didn't want to cook rice and add gotukola juice later). Sometimes I make porridge from parsley and curry leaves. 

Gotukola porridge for breakfast.

Homemade yogurt: Making yogurt at home is so easy. I heated 4 cups of whole milk slowly until the temperature was 180F (~ 82C), then cooled it until the temperature was around 115F (~ 46C). Then I added 2 tablespoons of yogurt. I keep small batches of yogurt in the freezer to use as a starter. You can also buy yogurt starter, but I have never used it.

Homemade yogurt.

Sauerkraut: After reading how Pauline at Happy Retirees Kitchen, and Sherry at Sherry's Pickings make sauerkraut at home, I also wanted to try it. It was on my 'one of these days I'll make it' list for a long time. When I saw Pauline's  Mortier Pilon Sauerkraut Crock I thought perhaps spending money on one might encourage me to finally make some sauerkraut. So I bought one, and today made my very first batch of sauerkraut. I will see in 3 days how it turns out. 😊

Sauerkraut with caraway seeds and mustard seeds.

I also tried making mozzarella cheese. But I got a very small amount of something similar to paneer. I still  ate it. 😀 

Did you try any new recipes lately?

XX
Nil


24 comments:

  1. hi Nil
    I'm glad to see that you were encouraged to try making sauerkraut. i used some in a soup last week, and it was delicious! Still 2 jars to use up, but i am going to make a chicken casserole with sauerkraut soon. Yes i enjoy making yoghurt too. it is always thick and delicious, plus you feel virtuous.. have a good week. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t know sauerkraut could be used in casseroles. Sounds delicious.

      Delete
    2. yes i add chicken, potato slices, sauerkraut and would you believe? pineapple!

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, I hope you will do a post about it Sherry. I wouldn’t have thought about adding pineapple to sauerkraut.

      Delete
  2. oh yes and thanks for the mention! i appreciate the link. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done with cooking the banana flower! Lucky you to get fresh moringa pods! I buy the frozen ones, but they are not that tasty. I haven't tried any new recipes, in a long time! I guess I should, but I've been sticking to the same, easy recipes I've been making quite often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tend to stick to the familiar easy recipes when I’m busy, Bless. That is going to happen when the classes start. Until then I’m having fun trying new recipes. 😁

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried any new recipes lately.. I admire your culinary adventures! Every single one of your dishes looks delicious! I think the moringa curry is my favorite. I hope your sauerkraut turns out well. I'm sure it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too hope sauerkraut experiment will work. Then I plan to make some kimchi. 😊

      Delete
  5. Nil, How exciting that you bought a sauerkraut crock, it takes a lot of cabbage to fill it, and it looks like you have a lot of beautiful brine. I push my weight down each day and force all of the brine to the top, seems to help. I'm sure yours will work beautifully. I must try your method of making yoghurt, I've only ever used a culture, but obviously don't need to. I love the look of your pancakes too, so healthy and delicious, I will give them a try. You have come back from holidays inspired my girl :) Well done. thanks Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. I checked the sauerkraut this morning and pushed it down as you recommended. Can’t wait to taste it in 3 days. 😊

      Delete
    2. interesting that pauline has a recipe that leaves it for only 3 days! the recipes i looked up mentioned 1 to 3 weeks! So i did leave mine sit in the dark for 2.5 weeks:)

      Delete
    3. Oh my! I wonder if I have patience to wait that long! I’ll try it in 3 days and if I need it to be stronger, I’ll leave it for two weeks. 😊

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia.
      Thank you for reading and commenting. 😊
      I see you also love cooking. I’m bookmarking your blog. 😊

      Delete
  7. Everything from your kitchen looks delicious. I love sauerkraut! No new recipes here as we were on a small vacation. Maybe I should just come to your kitchen and learn by osmosis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My newest cooking/kitchen adventure is milk kefir and kombucha. I am thoroughly enjoying it. Will be posting up about them soon when my computer is fixed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading it, Bridget. I have never made either one, though I have tried store bought kombucha once.

      Delete
    2. You should try making it, it tastes way different

      Delete
  9. Banana flower curry was one my favourites when I travelled in your home country. My driver knew this and used to seek out places where they'd make it fresh for me. I love seeing all the new foods you're trying out.......I make yoghurt and saurkraut, but haven't made anything new for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If sauerkraut turns out well, I want to make kimchi next. 😊

      Delete
    2. There's a Korean woman who goes to a local market who makes and sells kimchi, it's sooo good. I didn't really like it until I tasted hers, now I'm hooked. I must make it myself one day, you'll have to let us know how yours turns out.

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻