I had to buy a new car battery. Because the last one was barely one year old, it was under warranty so I only had to spend about $30 for the new battery installation. Still it was a hassle. Fortunately I had jumper cables and a very nice old gentleman helped to jump start the car so I can get to the service center. I should have made the maintenance appointment while there, but I totally forgot about it. 🙁
The biggest expense was the laptop. My old one takes over 10 minutes to start and sometimes turns off due to over heating. And it makes weird sounds. It’s over 9 years old, so I decided to buy a new one from Costco. It was $399.99 after $100 discount. 💻
When I called to make the doctor’s appointment, I learned that my doctor was moving to Georgia. They said they would send me details of the new doctor next week. I already researched near by doctors in case I don't want to go to the new doctor available at the clinic.
So far I have spent close to 75% of July income. 😲 I hope this week is more frugal.
Last week's to-do list:
1)
2) Weed one flower bed. - Started, but didn’t complete.
3)
4) Make Doctor's appointment. - Not done.
5) Make car service appointment. - Not done.
6)
This week's to-do list:
1) Clean the fridge.
2) Finish weeding the flower bed.
3) Make the car service appointment.
4) Prepare another week of lesson plans.
5) Mend a dress.
XX
Nil

Good thing you had a nice vacation as you come back to the daily happenings! Andrea
ReplyDeleteYes Andrea. It was a nice vacation and I really needed that break.
DeleteIt seems like some months just aren't meant to be frugal, so we rein in what spending we can and just limp through the month!
ReplyDeleteYes, Anne. I’m just glad that I didn’t exceed the monthly income.
DeleteThere is always something isn't there, I am sure you can pull in the reins next month.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Marlene
Thank you Marlene. Car insurance renewal is next month, and other than that I hope August will be more frugal. 😊
DeleteHi Nil, I was just thinking the same thing. Did you know that Auto Club will install a new car battery for free, if it's still under warranty? They will even come to the house and replace it for you! It's part of the membership. This has been an expensive month for me, too. Traveling has many hidden expenses. That was nice of that man to help you.
ReplyDeleteI didn’t know that Stephenie. Thank you. I do have the basic membership, and just now I googled and learned mine also included free batter service.
DeleteNil, it is not nice when the battery goes flat. We have what is called the RACQ here and if you are a member they come to where your car is and get it started again if you break down and they can replace the battery too but do charge for that. I do hope you can get back on track soon with your savings.
ReplyDeleteWe have a similar service called AAA here, Chel. I’ve used it once when I had a flat tire. But I didn’t even think to call them when the battery died. I was at a store and within several minutes a nice gentleman helped to get it started. AAA would have taken a longer time. 😊
Deleteit's hard at times to keep to the budget when there are accidents or disasters. but at least you were covered by the warranty. hope the rest of your month goes well. cheers sherry
ReplyDeleteThanks Sherry. Yes the battery was still under warranty, though I was not happy that it died that soon.
DeleteFrustrating when everything seems to fall apart at once. Hopefully August will be more cooperative. My doctor also left and I picked another one at the same place that I haven't met yet. I hope you like your new doctor.
ReplyDeleteYes, Julie I hope I like the new doctor. The place is so close to me, I’d hate to have to find another doctor far away.
DeleteThese more expensive times, do come. But with your being so wise, about money.... You are able to weather them. Your life style, is a wise one. And being able to weather times like these, proves it!
ReplyDeleteGentle hugs...
Thank you Wisps. Yes, I’m glad I have savings to face emergencies like theses without going into debt.
DeleteDo you have any clue as to why the battery needed to be replaced after only one year? Good luck with staying within your budget for the last few days of July! Hopefully it is not too hot to finish up the gardening chores.
ReplyDeleteI don’t know Anita. When I asked the guy at the service center (they sold me the battery last year), he just mumbled something about sometimes batteries going bad soon. The original batter that came with the car lasted 4 years, so I was not happy at all about the quality of this battery. Perhaps it was because the car was not really used while I was away.
DeleteSome months are more expensive than others. A new laptop is a good investment, it will last you for a long time. Imagine the time you save now that you don't have to wait for ages for your old one to startup :-)
ReplyDeleteWe have a bathroom refurbishment to pay for - that bill hurt! Lets hope for a less expensive August. Have a lovely week x
Christina, that’s so true. The new laptop starts in seconds. Sometimes I wonder why I waited this long to get a new one. 😁
DeleteI hope your bathroom renovation going smoothly. Yes, let’s hope for a less expensive August!
My goodness your days have eventful! I hope there is no more expenses coming up. Summer is always so busy. You're doing the best you can with your list. I hate changing medical doctor or dentists. Have a great week!!
ReplyDeleteEventful, though I don’t feel days are really productive. 😊 I get tired quickly when the weather is too hot.
DeleteI'm sorry you had all these expenses in just one month. But, thank goodness you were able to meet the expenses. I hope the rest of the month goes well and August will not have a lot of unexpected expenses. Do you have an emergency fund set up for just such expenses?
ReplyDeleteYes, Bless , I do. Times like these make me realize how important to have an emergency fund.
DeleteSometimes, expenses like your car battery are unavoidable, aren't they! We've had an expensive month too with having to buy a new washing machine. We compared prices for a particular machine and then chose the store with the best price.
ReplyDeleteShopping around really pays off Meg. I hope August will be less expensive for you as well. 😊
DeleteWow one year is too short to have your battery go on you. Ours usually last 2-3 years. We have bought a recharger for our car battery and hook it up at night as we do short runs
ReplyDeleteI’m also thinking of buying a battery recharger Bridget. Is yours a portable one?
DeleteIt happens
ReplyDeleteYes, hopefully the next month won’t be this bad. 😊
DeleteRe: my post on still loving Old Fashioned Blogging, in this world of fast, quick, easy...... Like Instagram, etc.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, for loving it, as I do. And I think it's wonderful, that a young person like you, is strong enough to resist the siren song of all those Instant forms of social media. It shows a wonderful strength in you.
Gentle hugs,
✨✨✨