I hadn't crocheted since I came back from the vacation, so I decided to do a bit of practicing before I forget what I learned so far. So, I did a very basic border around on the two samples I made a while ago, using single crochet (US) stitch.
| Crocheted borders. |
![]() |
| Cleaned and newly organized fridge. |
I like having indoor plants, but the ones I had in the living room were not looking good by the time I came back from the vacation. So I cut several branches of cherry laurel and crepe myrtle, put them in wine bottles and placed in the living room. I am hoping the crepe myrtle will root so that I can plant it in the front yard.
![]() |
| Crepe Myrtle branches. |
![]() |
| Cherry Laurel branches. |
I tried several new recipes as well. One was my lazy version of Spanakopita. I didn't have phyllo sheets, so I sprinkled bread crumbs over the spinach, feta, egg mixture and baked it. It was still good. I also added some frozen kale.
The second dish was a baked eggplant, ricotta, tomato sauce and mozzarella mix. It was a bit bland. I should have added more herbs.
![]() |
| Lazy Spanakopita (top) and Baked eggplant (bottom). |
I also made one of my favorite fish recipes - Ambulthiyal. Sri Lankans used to cook fish this way to keep it for a several days without refrigeration. The recipe is simple - a very sour spice called goraka (Garcinia gummy-gutta) is used with black pepper and salt to make a paste, and the fish coated in the spice paste is cooked until dry. I used tuna, and added a bunch of curry leave sprigs as well. This is the recipe my mom uses, but it varies slightly from region to region.
![]() |
| Fish ambulthiyal. |
On Saturday I attended the wedding of a colleague's daughter.👰 I really enjoyed dressing up with a bit of makeup (something I rarely do) and hanging out with colleagues. 👩
![]() |
| Wedding centerpiece. |
Now, the main reason for my lazy week were rainy days and books. The week started with 90% rain forecast and rained until yesterday. So, don't you think it's the perfect time for reading? Never mind that all except one on the to-do list were indoor activities. 😁 I finished two books. I found the ending of Death in a Strange Country was a bit disappointing, but I think it was more realistic based on the storyline. I really liked Dear Mrs. Bird. There are some sad parts, but it is a really funny story based in wartime London (1941). I'm not going to tell you too much in case you want to read it. 😊
I hope I'll be able to check off the next week's to-do list!
This week's to-do list:
1)
2) Finish weeding the flower bed. - Not done.
3) Make the car service appointment. - Not done.
4) Prepare another week of lesson plans. - Partially done.
5) Mend a dress. - Not done.
Next week's to-do list:
1) Finish weeding the flower bed.
2) Make the car service appointment.
3) Prepare another week of lesson plans.
4) Mend a dress.
XX
Nil






Nil,
ReplyDeleteI really need to make a 'To Do' list this week as it is warming up here and it is somhard to get anything done once the heat arrives. We are in mid winter and are having 22C days already. I hope we don't get summer temps like some countries are experiencing at present. Good luck with your list.
We all need some do-not-do-what's-on-the-to-do-list weeks!!!!!!!!! :-) And summer is the perfect time for it. :-)
ReplyDeleteEspecially nice, that in between all that delightful do-what-you-want time, was an occasion to dress up and go out. What a lovely week!!!!!
You ought to try another one, before summer is over!!!!!!!
Gentle hugs...
I am smiling- your next week's list looks a lot like last week's list (minus cleaning the fridge) (smiling here). I love to hear about the different foods and spices. I have never heard of the fish dish or spices like that. I hope you have a great week, Nil. Not sure if I asked you before--could you share your email address with me? I just want to be able to reply to your comments on my blog. My own is dianakos1@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteThanks- I promise NOT to give your email to spammers. lol xo Diana
Nil, that cracks me up. I tease my mom about waking up at the crack of noon 😄 Her response is often "Well, I was up til 1AM finishing my book." She can't put books down either. Glad it was a pleasant week for you though. You will be back to work before long so enjoy those books now.
ReplyDeleteHi Nil, Those cuttings look so pretty in vases. I just had my oil changed in my car, and the electric window and door fixed. Phew! It's such a relief to have car maintenance done. I like your single crocheted border. That's very useful for knitting. We do single crochet borders a lot around the neckline or just to finish off the edges of sleeves, etc...
ReplyDeleteYou are on vacation - you deserve to have a week or two of doing just what you want to do before work starts! A little crafting, a lot of reading, some cooking and trying out of new recipes, and attending a wedding sound like a good way to spend a week of vacation. Besides, you cleaned the fridge - that counts as work! :D Did you wear a sari to the wedding?
ReplyDeleteBy the way, my daughter cooked a mango curry, today, for the first time, after I told her about it (I had bought two mangoes to make a curry when she visited and didn't get around to it!).
It sometimes does us good to enjoy a more relaxed week. It gives the batteries opportunity to recharge. X
ReplyDeleteI think the best way to rest and recharge is to do things not on the list, things we feel like doing. You can be all organised when you go back to work.
ReplyDeleteI just finished a book you might like......The Forgotten Letters of Esther Durrant by Kayte Nunn. It's gentle and heart warming, but thought provoking too, as it highlights practises and laws of an earlier time, making you think.
There is nothing wrong with a slower week, reading books and such. I agree with you about the Donna Leon book. We love the scenery of Venice in her books, but the plots are a bit...grim sometimes.
ReplyDeleteReading is good for your soul and being lost in a book is a very good excuse for not completing your list. I enjoy audiobooks a lot because they allow me to enjoy a book AND do something else, for example cook. Enjoy the slow summer while it lasts, term will be back soon enough :-)
ReplyDeleteI've never had a crepe myrtle root. Hopefully you'll have better luck! Thanks for the ambulthiyal recipe. It's not something I've ever tried or even heard of, but I think it sounds good.
ReplyDeleteYour week sounded perfect to me! Good luck with rooting the crepe myrtle. They are lovely trees.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun and relaxing week! The yellow in your crochet is so pretty. I could never root plants but I had a neighbor who did that well. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI have a daily to do list that I use each day, otherwise something might not get done. It helps me to remember the things I need to do. Your eggplant dish looks so good.
ReplyDelete