Thursday, July 11, 2019

It's been almost a week since I returned from my vacation. I haven't fully recovered from jet lag yet. I cleaned the house and did several stacks of laundry, but not much else. I have two stacks of clothes to iron. They are just staring at me in the bedroom, but I'm too lazy to iron them. The garden looks like a mess. Some plants are doing well, and some have died in my absence. I have to plant rosemary, oregano and hummingbird (Sesbania grandiflora) again. 

Serrano peppers and katuk are doing fine, but basil plants have bolted. 

Serrano peppers.

I pruned moringa trees, and sauteed the leaves with katuk. 

Katuk and moringa leaves.

I made a new dessert using chia seeds. I mixed 1/4 cup of chia seeds with one cup of milk and some agave syrup, mixed well and left in the fridge. The next day I topped it with a spoonful of nectarine pieces. It's a quick and delicious dessert and I've made it with both coconut milk and almond milk. 

Chia seed desert.

After reading all Miss Silver books by Patricia Wentworth, I had been looking for a another good mystery series. Then I read this post on Mae's Food Blog about a series set in France. That was when I was still on vacation. I found the e-books on the library system and started from the first book. Normally I like cozy mysteries set in England, with characters like Miss Maple and Miss Silver. Martin Walker's Bruno, the Chief of Police series is different. It's contemporary fiction set in rural France. Bruno, the main character, is the chief of police in a small town called St. Denis and he loves to cook. He grows vegetables and raises chickens. I love how the author describes Bruno's cooking. It makes me want to try new recipes. 😋 I just finished the 10th book and downloaded the 11th one. 


I have another month at home before going back to work. There's a lot to do before I get busy with work. I have to finish making lesson plans for the new course, and also start new vegetable beds among other things. So, it's time to get back to routines.

Next week's to-do list: 
1) Clean the car.
2) Weed one flower bed.
3) Iron clothes.
4) Make Doctor's appointment.
5) Make car service appointment.
6) Prepare another week of lesson plans.


XX
Nil


33 comments:

  1. I know it is not fun to be feeling the jet lag you are experiencing, but what a wonderful time you got to have getting it!
    Welcome back to the ordinary. Will you plant basil again or will you just let it bolt and see if it self seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’m going to let basil self seed, Anne. One less thing for me to do. 😊

      Delete
  2. Doesn't it always seem to take the wind out of your sail for a bit being gone for any length of time? You see what needs attention at least, you'll get it done. Those peppers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I’ve several weeks before going back to work. I planned it so I can get things back to normal. 😊

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks good considering you've been gone for over a month! Did you have someone come and water it for you or did it rain enough? That dessert looks good - reminds me a bit of sago pudding! I'm glad you have a few more weeks of vacation before work starts. Sounds like you'll be busy, but hope you get to relax a bit, too. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a house sitter, Bless. But not someone who enjoys gardening. 😁 There was a drought in the early weeks so some plants had died then. The others were saved by the rain.

      Delete
  4. Jet lag is so tough! I hope you settle back into your routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m getting there, Priscilla. Last night I went to sleep at 11 and got up at 5.30 this morning. So I’m almost there. 😁

      Delete
  5. I really fall apart with jet leg, perhaps it's my age. Whatever it is I really did bad in Singapore. Hope you are doing better from the jet leg. Enjoy your Summer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to have about two weeks of jet lag in Sri Lanka and a bit shorter when I come back. I’m almost back to normal now. 😊

      Delete
  6. Beautiful garden!! My basil plants are starting to show the seeds but I cut the seeds out, I heard it encourages the plant to produce more leaves. I love making Caprese salad with our basil. I have never heard of Moringa before, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I cut the basil flowers, because I too have read that it promotes growth. But while I was on vacation, they bolted.
      Moringa is full of vitamins, minerals etc, so I add it to various dishes. 😊

      Delete
  7. Do you think you'll be able to use some of the basil leaves on the bottom of the plant or no? I hope so. I'm going to check out Mae's Food Blog to see if I'll enjoy it as well. I hope you get plenty of rest and enjoy your month off until school starts back. We start back on August 6th, so a little less than one month. I've enjoyed my time off this summer and hope you have too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can still use the basil leaves, Belinda. But they don’t look healthy. The plants use their energy to flower, so I guess leaves don’t get enough nutrients.
      Time flies when we have fun. Enjoy the rest of your break, Belinda. 😊

      Delete
  8. Very healthy desert! Nothing better than settling down with a good book! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, a cup of tea, and a good book - my version of paradise!

      Delete
  9. Sorry about the jet lag, and some of your plantings, which didn't make it. But as someone said, you had a wonderful time. :-)

    Ahhh another possible book series! Love the sound of it. Except, honestly, for the food! I really need to lose weight, and it's quite hard, to read such books. Although I'm sure I'd enjoy it, if I skipped over the food. -grin-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try reading one, Wisps. Yes, it’s ok to skip over the food, though I think that’s the most interesting part. 😁

      Delete
  10. I always find it takes time to settle after being away, missing family and friends and jetlag on top doesn't help. It's good you have a few more weeks to catch up, no rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nanette. I wanted to stay longer with mom, but I also knew I needed time to get things done here before going back to work.

      Delete
  11. I'm delighted to hear that you liked my suggestion to read the Martin Walker books. I've been reading each one as it is published, and always look forward to the next. He has created such a wonderful world of food and neighborliness using both his imagination and the reality (or some of it) of rural France.

    Best.. Mae of Mae's Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the book recommendation, Mae. I really enjoy it. 😊

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the book recommendation. The plots sound a bit like the Peter Mayle (not quite sure of his last name) books which I love. My basil is starting to bolt now that it is warming up here. It is a daily chore to break off the tops to encourage more leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve read Peter Mayle’s A Year in Provence, but didn’t know about his other books. After Bruno, I’ll see if the library carries Mayle’s books. 😊

      Delete
  13. hi Nil
    glad you had a lovely time with your mum. jet lag is a terrible thing isn't it?:) here in Queensland, basil always bolts. we don't stand a chance:) hope your garden comes good after a bit of care. enjoy the rest of your break. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm going to give those books a go too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Plants always are a concern when you are away for an extended time. Hopefully your veggie ones will recover with some attention from you. I enjoyed reading about your reading selections. Right now I am reading another one by Donna Leon whose main character is Inspector Brunetti and the setting is Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I forgot about Inspector Brunetti. I’ve read the the first book years ago. Thanks for the reminder, Beatrice. Time to download another one. 😊

      Delete
  16. Forgot to add that Grenville asked me to thank you for the birthday wishes. He did have a great day with several cards received and lots of phone calls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad to hear Grenville had a great day , Beatrice. 😊

      Delete
  17. I am late to this post.... I am sure by now your garden is in tip top shape once more :-)
    Your new book series sounds like a fun find. I'll look it up once I finished by current reads. My e-reader has been in my youngest hands most days, it'll be a fight to get it back.... Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is in a much better condition now Christina 😊.
      I’m waiting for the latest Bruno book. The wait is about 2 months, so I started reading Inspector Brunetti

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻