I spent the last couple of mornings working in the garden. Sometimes when I have too many things to do, I can’t decide what I should do first. I was planing to weed a flower bed, but halfway through it started raining. Then I decided that edibles were more important than flowers, so the next day I spent the entire morning cleaning the backyard and pruning. I’ll get to the flowers sometime later. π
I weeded the empty raised beds, removed several dead tomato plants, and pruned lemongrass bushes. There's a lot more to do, but I'm very happy about the work I did so far. I thought I'd show you some of the plants I have in the backyard. π
 |
| Pruned lemongrass and empty raised beds. I haven’t decided what to grow in them yet. |
 |
| In this bed I have Serrano pepper, two types of basil, two types of parsley, thyme and oregano. |
I bought a blue pea vine (Clitoria ternatea) for $5 and planted it near the back fence. Blue pea flowers are so pretty, and I wanted to have it in the front yard, but it needs shade. So I planted it under the oak tree in the backyard.
 |
| Blue pea vine. |
Kauk (Sauropus androgynus) and moringa (Moringa oleifera) plants are growing well. Tropical plants like these thrive in this warm weather.
 |
Katuk
|
 |
Moringa
|
 |
Curry leaf (Murraya koenigii) flowers
|
 |
| Pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius) |
 |
Ginger
|
 |
Pineapple
|
Last but not least, look what I have here! Passion fruits! Before I went on vacation I was thinking of removing the passion fruit vine because I thought it was dead. I'm glad that I didn't. While working in the yard, I just looked up and saw one passion fruit all the way up. The vine has grown over the fence and climbed up a cherry laurel tree! I was literally dancing with excitement. I hope my neighbors didn't see me. I really have to put up the side fence. π
 |
| Passion fruit |
It's raining again. I can hear the rumble of thunder, and the rain pattering outside. It's time to read a book. ⛈π I'm reading Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon. Thank you Beatrice at The Frog and Penguinn for reminding me of Inspector Brnuetti!
XX
Nil
Thank you for the tour of the garden! I so enjoy seeing all the plants you have! Yay, your passion fruit vine is producing fruit! How wonderful! I am so envious of your pineapple plants! I managed to get some tops to root, but they died after being planted!
ReplyDeleteTry another pineapple top, Bless. I normally keep the tops in a small glass of water for several days, and then plant in the ground.
DeleteYour lemon grass is huge! I just bought 2 this spring, and they are about a foot tall now. And woohoo for passion fruit π
ReplyDeleteLemongrass grows very quickly Lady Locust. You will have a huge cluster in no time. π
DeleteWow, congratulations on the Passion Fruit. How exciting! You are doing so well with your gardening.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephenie. Passionfruit is one of my favorites. π
DeleteWe love Donna Leon books too, and my DH has a collection of them. Like you, I sometimes find that there are so many tasks waiting in the garden that it is hard to know what to do next!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I make to-do lists to organize my thoughts, but at other times I can get overwhelmed.
DeleteYour back yard is spectacular! You're right about the blue pea, very pretty flowers.
ReplyDeleteAnd according to Ayurveda medicine, blue pea has medicinal properties. π
DeleteGood thing you didn't remove the passion fruit tree! Your gardens look very nice, especially considering you were away for so long. Happy gardening! Andrea
ReplyDeleteThank Andreaπ
DeleteToo hot to really comment...
ReplyDeleteπ§π§π§π§
Stay cool, Wisps.
DeleteAnother Donna Leon and passion fruit fan! Congrats on your garden! Laura
ReplyDeleteHehee yes I love passion fruit and love reading mysteries.
DeleteThank you for reading and commenting. π
How exciting to have the passion fruit, Nil I love that! I remember one summer when we thought our peach tree hadn't borne any fruit and I looked up and there was one peach at the top of the tree. It was so neat. :)
ReplyDeleteOoh I wish I had peaches too. π
DeleteNil, our passionfruit get eaten by the wildlife here. You have a lot of lemongrass growing. I have been growing it for years but never use it. I do use it for mulch though.
ReplyDeleteThere are squirrels here, but so far passion fruits are safe. Mom told me to leave them until they turn yellow, so I hope squirrels won’t eat them..
DeleteI use lemongrass when cooking chicken curry. I’ve been wanting to make lemongrass tea, but haven’t done it yet. Using for mulch is a great idea. Do you cut it up?
Thanks for the garden tour, Nil. I have never tried passion fruit, but what a nice surprise you found growing! You are most welcome for the Donna Leon recommendation and glad you enjoy her. I am just finishing her latest book, Onto Us a Son is Given and recently finished The Temptation of Forgiveness. Another favorite author, Alexander McCall Smith has just released a new series and I was able to get a copy at the library last week.
ReplyDeleteOnce I finish the current book, I'll check Alexander McCall Smith. I don't think I'v ever read his books. :)
DeleteLooks like you've been busy. How exciting to find passion fruits on your vine! I grew lemongrass for a couple of years and would cut it up, dehydrate it and use it for tea. I still have a ton of lemongrass tea, so I didn't plant any this year.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try your method and make some lemongrass tea. Thanks Julie. :)
DeleteYour garden looks so interesting Nil and quite tropical which I find amazing. How wonderful that you can grow ginger, and passionfruit. We have given up on growing passionfruit for now, need to find a better spot. They seem to love a treee to climb. I'm not sure what Kauk and Moringa are, I will have to check them out. Thanks for sharing your amazing garden with us. Pauline.
DeleteHi Pauline, I think passion fruit needs sun. I was trying to grow it along a fence, but there was too much shade. Then it climbed up and once it gets sun, started producing fruits. π
Deletehi Nil
ReplyDeletei wonder - is blue pea vine the same or similar to butterfly pea? they use butterfly pea in a local gin, so it is a beautiful blue colour. cheers S
Yes Sherry. I googled it and blue pea and butterfly pea are the same. They are also knows as Asian pigeonwings.
Deleteit makes the most beautifully coloured gin!
DeleteWow..you have plants a whole Sri Lankan garden there, isn't it? It's so good to see a Sri Lankan having a wonderful blog. Best of luck!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Lucky for reading and commenting.
DeleteWe have sub tropical climate here, and most plants found in Sri Lanka grow here well. π