The first week of 2021 is already over. New semester starts on Monday. On Thursday and Friday I had several faculty meetings and workshops. Enrollment is down this semester. One of my lower level courses is only half full, and this is the first time it happened. Luckily, other classes have normal enrollment. The administration encouraged us to switch from Zoom to Microsoft Teams as they plan to cancel Zoom subscription in December. Just when I'm very comfortable using Zoom, now it's time to learn something new. π I'm going do office hours on Teams, so I can figure out its functions properly before teaching classes on Teams.
I feel bad about my yard, because I've been neglecting it for a while now. I planed to clean up a raised bed tomorrow (Saturday) , but it's supposed to be a cold weekend, with temperatures around 50F (10C). π¬
Every year my internet provider increases prices, and every year I try to call and get a lower rate. Today I was on the phone for over 40 minutes, and finally was able to keep the current price at $59.99/month. That's $15/month saving, so I think it was worth the time. I also want to change my cell phone plan. Currently, with an employer discount I pay close to $50/month for unlimited calling, text and data. I'm thinking of switching to Mint. Their lowest rate is $15/month for unlimited calling, text and 3GB of data. Does anyone use Mint? If you do, are you happy with it?
This week I'm grateful for
1) video chats with Mom and sister
2) being able to negotiate a lower internet price.
3) having all classes ready for the new semester.
4) greens and herbs from the backyard.
5) having extra meals in the freezer.
6) homemade sourdough bread.
7) cool mornings.
Take care everyone. Stay safe. πΌπΌπΌ
XXX
Nil
Beautiful bird photos! Hard to believe the first week of the year is already over, isn't it? Well done on negotiating a lower billing rate! I hope you have a good weekend and new semester will be off to a good start.
ReplyDeleteThank you Bless. The first week of the semester is going well. It looks like I have a good bunch of students. π
DeleteGood luck with Teams. It can't be that difficult, wouldn't you think, just different.
ReplyDeletexx
Thanks Joy. As far as I know Teams doesn’t let me record lectures while using ‘white board’ feature. I often use the white board to show math, so recording lectures on Teams leaves gaps. Other than that, they seem to be pretty similar.
DeleteMy husband and I use consumer cellular. We have unlimited talk and text along with 500 MB of data. The cost is just over $40 per month.
ReplyDeleteThank you Granny_J. I have to do more research on different providers. π
DeleteLovely birds in your backyard. Good luck with all you have to do and learn for work.......and 10°......that seems chilly.
ReplyDeleteIt is chilly, Nanette. Especially for someone like me who grew up in a very warm climate. π
DeleteMy semester starts Monday too... good luck with a new semester and getting the hang of Teams. I haven't tried Teams yet, I either use Zoom or Blackboard has it's own virtual platform. I'm also shopping for a new cell phone provider, but I haven't looked into Mint.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jules. Hope your classes are going well.
DeleteNil, I have used Zoom a few times chatting with forum members. I hate learning new techy stuff.
ReplyDeleteHehee, I always have to learn new tech stuff, Chel. I’m used to it now.
DeleteIt's amazing how you can get companies to lower prices by just asking. I need a new phone, new computer, and a new iPad- all are old but I'm not in the mood to search around. Love the photos of the birds. Good luck with your new semester Nil.
ReplyDeleteOh dear! I was in the exact same situation in 2029. Had to buy a new phone, and a new laptop. Luckily, our department gave me a new to me iPad when my old one suddenly died.
DeleteHope you find good deals. Buying all those three at once can be pretty expensive.
Best wishes as you start the new semester, Nil.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Belinda. π
DeleteWhat gorgeous photos! That's too bad you have to switch from Zoom. I'm sure you will pick up the Windows version quickly. These are challenging times. I pay $54.00 a month for AT&T. I use Lively for my cell phone. I increased my plan, because I like to talk on the phone with my friends a lot. (especially during this pandemic.)
ReplyDeleteI usually make video calls over internet when I’m home, so don’t use a lot of minutes on my cellphone plan. You are so right, it’s nice to have friends to chat with in these difficult times.
DeleteLovely bird pictures; thanks for sharing them. I never heard of Mint, but we have 2 phones on Verizon for $92 a month. Good luck with the new technology. I am sure you will master it. I read that numerous colleges are facing declining enrollments.
ReplyDeleteYes, Anita. It’s a very challenging time for many colleges. I hope we will get to teach in person next fall, but fall semester classes must be scheduled in February and I’m not sure how we decide what to do.
DeleteWHile it can be time-consuming, Nil, it's always worth a try to negotiate a lower or the same price when faced with an increase, so good for you on doing that. We used to have Verizon Wireless, but switched to here what's called Xfinity by Comcast, I'm not sure whether or not it is available in your area. Our cost is $12/phone with unlimited text and we share 2G of data and if that goes over the cost is only an additional $12 per 1G. We had unlimited data and text with Verizon Wireless but the monthly cost was over $100 so this plan has saved us $. I am not familiar with Mint. Hope all goes well with learning the new program and I was not surprised to read that enrollments were down as some people don't want to pay the same $ for a class and not be able to actually attend it in person. Hopefully, in person classes will return ... someday. Nice bird photos and do you know what these are?
ReplyDeleteThank you Beatrice. I’ll check if we have Xfinity in our area.
ReplyDeleteLuckily we have two big internet providers so they compete for customers. Though both increase prices each year, retention departments are usually very flexible and willing to give discounts.
The bird in the first photo is a red-shouldered hawk. The other is a mockingbird. π
Nil, I've been a bit slow getting back into it and it's lovely to read your post. They don't come across my email, only in my blogger reading list, so I have to consciously check it. I am interested in the move from Zoom to Microsoft Teams, nothing stays the same does it with technology? You are definitely on the cutting edge. I hope your first week goes well. I love your bird photos, it is always interesting to see birds from another part of the world. Stay safe and calm, Paulinex
ReplyDelete