Friday, September 8, 2017

Hurricane Irma

A major hurricane is coming this way. Hurricane Irma is supposed to hit Florida late Saturday. Initially the path was closer to the east coast of the state, and because I live on the west coast, I  gathered water and food and thought it was going to be okay for this area.  Now the path has changed. Irma is supposed to go through the center of the state , all the way from south to north. The projected track is getting closer to the west coast. 
Flood is not a big concern as I'm not in a flood zone. I just hope that the little lake behind me won't overflow. We are supposed to get about 10 inches of rain. However we will have extremely high winds. I wish I had enough time and resources to buy plywood sheets to cover windows. The house is a concrete block house, so hopefully it will be strong enough for 100 mph winds. It is hard to tell what the exact path will be. Once it hits the land it will turn, and that turn will determine if it comes through this area. Right now, I'm just outside the danger zone. It should pass us Sunday night. I have a bag packed, and depending on the updates tomorrow I will decide whether I'm going to spend the night at a shelter. So far there are no evacuation orders, as I'm not in an evacuation zone. No matter where I am, I will be sleepless Sunday night. 
We will definitely lose power . I have a small gas stove and propane bottles, and I bought canned food enough for 2-3 days. I filled up every bucket and bottle I have at home. I removed pots in the yard because they can be dangerous projectiles during heavy winds. Once, more than a decade ago I spent three days without power during a hurricane but I was not scared. This time, the path of the hurricane scares me. Neighbors are also staying put, so I think we all should be fine. 

I hope you all have a good weekend.

XX
Nil 




27 comments:

  1. All the best Nil, I am thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nil, my friend in clearwater said a few days ago that the west coast should be fine but obviously that has changed. I will be praying for protection for you and I hope the lake will be okay too and not cause you any grief. Keep in touch and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chel.
      I hope your friend has a safe place to stay. Pinellas county (where Clearwater is) has mandatory evacuation orders for many areas.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nil, It's good that you are prepared. Hopefully everything will be fine. My brother is in Florida. I will be saying prayers for both of you. It's good that your house is a concrete block house. Please keep us posted. I'm sure you and your neighbors will help each other if you need it. Hopefully you won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie.
      I hope your brother lives away from the most dangerous zone.
      I try to be optimistic, but watching TV scares me. Now I know why I rarely watch TV. :)

      Delete
    2. I hope you can stay safe! Thinking of you.

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm so worried about you. If possible please let us know how you are. Take care and stay safe.
    Kylie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall be thinking of you, I hope all will be ok for you, we have been following it on the news, stay safe my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nil, I didn't know where you lived until reading this post. I'm praying for you and all those in Irma's path. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe Nil. It sounds so scary over there. I hope both you and your little house by the lake will 'weather the storm' ok and that sunny days are not too far away for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep well Nil. Will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all. I will post an update on Monday if I can access internet. At this point, Computer models show a landfall south of us, then Irma passes this area moving north along the west coast. Still there is room for change. I hope and pray that the eye of the hurricane will not go right above us.
    Please send prayers and good luck here, we definitely need it now.
    XX
    Nil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nil, I just saw a news report here, then read your post, am thinking of you and hope you are safe as can be. You seem well prepared, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you all there, Nil and praying. Be safe. XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nil, I hope you are doing okay. My brother in FL was fine. We are all saying prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quick update: I'm staying with a colleague and his family. Irma I has been downgraded to category 1 when it hits this area, hopefully it will be either 1 or slows down further. Tonight is going to be a long one. I'm so glad that I don't have to be alone.
    XX
    Nil

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear you are safe and staying with someone. Thankyou so much for keeping us up to date. I've been thinking about you a lot. Take care.
    Kylie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi all, I'm safe and Irma passes just east of this area. I'm still not at home. There is no power in my area, but I'll go home sometime later this afternoon. I hope the big oak tree in the backyard didn't fall. I'm so relieved that everyone I know are safe and the damages so far are not as bad as we expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks for letting us know. That's too bad that you don't have power, but I'm sure you're prepared. I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Phew!

      Delete
  16. Good to hear. I hope all is well back home. Stay safe.
    Kylie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear from you Nil and know you and yours are safe and well. Thanks for letting us know. I was so pleased to hear you were able to be with friends and not on your own through the worst of it. Fingers crossed for your tree and that you find little or no damage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi all,
    I came home last evening. There are no damages, and I was so relieved. There are small branches that I need to clean up, but nothing major. I still have no power, hopefully it will be restored sometime today. Thank you so much for all your prayer & wishes.
    XX
    Nil

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is fantastic news Nil. I'm relieved for you.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's wonderful news Nil. Congratulations. I hope your power is back on soon.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻