Saturday, September 2, 2017

Planning A New Budget

I cannot believe how fast time flies. It's already September. 
As I have mentioned in earlier posts, this month I plan to live on 50% of my take home income. The other day I went through my new budget to make sure that I have covered every area. Then I realized that I hadn't included the cost of vitamins. Because I buy vitamins in bulk I forgot about it. Once I included the monthly cost of vitamins, I only had $ 3.20 in what I call "Fun" category. That's no fun! This is the money I reserve for going out with friends or for buying something just because I like it. I don't go out every month, but I'd like to have that extra amount there. I also increased the food budget to $150 and I didn't see any other way to increase the amount in Fun category without eliminating the $50 lawn service fee. I do have Netflix (~ $11) and a relatively expensive cell phone plan ($50).  Because I don't have cable TV, I like to keep Netflix though I don't watch it often. My excuse for keeping the cell phone plan is that when I travel outside the country it allows free text and data. I travel every year for several months and it's easier to keep in touch with friends and colleagues without changing my phone number. I'm not sure if it makes sense financially in the long run, but those are my excuses for keeping Netflix and cell phone plan. Haha 😀

I made the budget based on the last salary, which was in May. Recently my health insurance premium went up, and I'm supposed to receive a small salary increase as well. So, until I get paid next week I don't know exactly how much my new after tax take home salary is. So I have to wait until next Friday to fine-tune the budget. My goal is to pay extra $300 or at least $250 toward the principal of my mortgage.

Now, to a more exciting topic. Baking. I made another loaf of gluten free bread and while the oven was warm, I decided to make Kylie's lemon butter cookies. I used gluten free all purpose flour mix.   I don't like sweets, but these cookies are so good. I love the lemon flavor.  When I shared it with a friend, the reaction was  'oh these are dangerously delicious'. Thanks for the recipe, Kylie.

Dangerously delicious lemon butter cookies :)



Until next time,

XX
Nil









16 comments:

  1. Lemon butter cookies - I think you just said my name :-) yum! Good luck with the budget and sticking to it which I know you're good at. The extra on your mortgage this early will save you a ton in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust, I really dislike debt, so I want to pay off the mortgage as soon as possible. :)

      Delete
  2. You're doing so well with your financial planning. I always pay extra on the mortgage. I can't wait to get it paid off.
    The cookies look delicious. Another great recipe for me to try. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must try the recipe Jules. its so light and full of lemon flavor.

      Delete
  3. There are always changes and things which pop up when budgeting but you are right on top of it all. Once you have more details and fine tune I'm hoping you can make that extra payment on your mortgage. We paid ours off by doing just that. We made weekly payments and paid lump sums here and there whenever we could. Keep it up you are doing really good.
    I'm absolutely thrilled you like the lemon cookies and it's good to hear it works with GF flour. I'll let Mum know you enjoyed them.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must also thank your mom Kylie for giving you this wonderful recipe. Please convey my thanks to her.

      Delete
  4. I am sure you can stick to the new budget, you have a good thrifty head on your shoulders x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best with your budget, Nil. Kylie is a great cook isn't she? Love the look of those lemon cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully the increase in salary you expect will give you a little more breathing room for the fun money. Oh, and congratulations on the raise, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed at how little you spend on food. I spend $220.00 a month, and last month I went over budget. I agree that it's good to have some money for fun. That makes all the difference. Your cookies turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephenie, is that only for food? Without things such as toilet paper, cleaning supplies etc?
      Perhaps food is expensive in CA?

      Delete
  8. Just found your blog via Australia. Just live North of you in Canada.
    Have to reset budget too. With family of six little harder.
    Those cookies look great! Love lemon!
    That blog of Kylie looks dangerous good.i have to stop in there too.
    Hi from the North!
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wilma, thank you for reading and commenting.
      Yes, it's much harder to budget when there's a family. I hope you will be able to reset your budget successfully. All the best. XX

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻