Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Decluttering & Organizing

Yesterday I spent several hours decluttering the spare room, and organizing kitchen cupboards.
I'm a hoarder of glass jars! I had two boxes full of jars in the spare room and more in the kitchen. I was collecting them as if the world was going to run out of glass jars!

Hi, my name is Nil. And I'm a jar hoarder.

I kept several and put everything else in the recycling bin.
Then I organized the spice cupboard. I have a lot of different spices. I use the same type of jars to store extra spices and placed them on the top shelf. I don't buy special storage jars. These big jars on the top shelf  had artichoke. As you can see, I love artichoke. 😋

Spices ... somewhat organized.

I have a label maker, so I made simple labels for the jars.
The bottom shelf is not as organized as I'd like. I'm thinking of adding a tiered wire shelf /spice rack type thingy if I can find one at a thrift store. I keep frequently used spices in smaller jars, on the bottom shelf. I also want to make a list of all the spices and attach it to the inside the door so I can easily see what I have , especially in the back row.

I put cumin seeds, cumin powder, mustard seeds, celery salt, turmeric, thyme, rosemary and several other spices in small jars, and placed everything in a container. I can take this down when I cook because these are the spices I use the most. I used to just open big spice containers and sprinkle right in to the food while it's on the stove. Then  rising steam would get in and make  everything moist and clumpy. I think it can even change the potency of the spice. Now I fill up the small containers as needed.

Frequently used spices all corralled in a container.

I discarded a couple of old serving dishes and used the drawer to store freezer bags, aluminum foil etc.



The spare room needs more decluttering. I only removed boxes of jars. I have to go through a box of old clothes, a box of photo frames and more stuff. I will do it sometime this week.  Small steps. 😊


XX
Nil







22 comments:

  1. Well done! I am going to start the 90/52 decluttering challenge on Jan.1. You spend 90 minutes a week each week just decluttering the home. There are so many things I need to either repurpose or simply get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Anne. 90 minutes a week doesn't sound difficult. It's much better than spending hours trying to do too much.

      Delete
  2. You are a good organizer! I, too, am a hoarder of jars...lol. I've given away some. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have anyone to take extra jars, Andrea. Because I'm the one who collects other people's jars. lol
      At least the jars will be recycled without simply going to trash. :)

      Delete
  3. Great work on the spices, Nil! I have lots too...and a label maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Earthmotherwithin. :) A label maker is very useful, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Ha, ha, my name is Bless and I, too, am a hoarder of glass jars! I use them for a lot of things, but, I think I have more than what I can use! I like your artichoke jars and how they make a nice, uniform set of containers for your spices.

    Well done on the decluttering and the organizing. I store my spices in two deep kitchen drawers, so I put the labels on the lids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an excellent job, Nil. Everything looks so neat and clean. I like the jars you use from the marinated artichokes. They are a nice size. At first I was confused, because I always grow or buy fresh artichokes. Those are delicious in a cream sauce over ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fresh artichokes, Stephenie. But sometimes I buy them in jars. These jars had baby artichoke hearts in water. I use them in salads. I like marinated ones also. :)

      Delete
  6. Nil, as I was going through all my spices when putting everything back in the new pantry I realised lots of my spices were out of date and some I had bought in larger containers so from now on I am only going to buy the smaller bottles and top them up when necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Chel. Unless it's something I use very often, I don't buy ground spices in big jars. The whole ones last longer and I use them when I make curry powder at home.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you DO like to collect jars. But you also put them to good use. I like the way the asparagus jars look with spices in them and labels on them. Good luck the rest of the week on decluttering the spare room. It looks like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa I know you are a minimalist and hope you didn't have a headache after seeing the collection. :)
      However, I'm proud to say that I recycled 90% of it.

      Delete
  8. I am the same Nil, I have a bit of a jar thing going on, I love to see jars all lined up with herbs, spice, beans and pulses in them. After Christmas I am on a big tidy and decluttering mission and next year I am getting back into writing about money saving and frugality as we really need to step things up a gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your frugal tips, Marlene. Good luck with your decluttering.

      Delete
  9. I'm a jar hoarder too, Nil. The top 3 or 4 shelves in my pantry are empty jars. I need to starting using them up. It's so nice when everything is decluttered. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda. It was hard to discard everything, but now I have more space. It feels good. :)

      Delete
  10. That is an impressive collection of jars! Your pantry looks so tidy. I should start collecting jars for storage. Maybe that will be my New Year's goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita.
      As long as you don't go to an extreme ( I was almost there :) ), I think that keeping several extra empty jars is very useful.

      Delete
  11. Hello my name's Nanette and I'm a glass jar hoarder too 😆 Some, like the ones I get coconut oil in are such a nice shape, it seems a shame to move them on. I have some decluttering to do, so you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee welcome to the club of jar collectors, Nanett.
      There were times that I bought bottles of oil just because I liked the color or shape of the bottle. 😀

      Delete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻