Sunday, April 19, 2020

Green Apple Curry

Green mango curry is a favorite dish in Sri Lanka.  Because it's not easy to find green mangoes here, I make green apple curry. 😊  Actually, I got the idea from a friend, and she uses coconut milk to make a gravy. I on the other hand, like to find shortcuts as long as it tastes good, so I do not use coconut milk.

Here's my version. Quantities are approximations as I rarely measure things. 

Ingredients:
4 Granny Smith apples
1 TBS cumin powder (or curry powder)
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 medium onion chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic sliced
2 sprigs of curry leaves (optional)
1 1/2 inch piece of pandan leaf (optional)
2 1-inch pieces of cinnamon
1/8 tsp red chili flakes 
salt
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS water

Cut apples in quarters, core, and cut each quarter in half. Add all other ingredients, mix well, cover and cook in medium heat until apples softens.
That's it! 😊

Remove curry leaves, pandan and cinnamon  pieces before serving.







8 comments:

  1. Hi Nil, That recipe sounds so healthy! Your loaf of bread looks perfect. I'm sure your stocks will come back in time. I actually just bought some Coca Cola stock. I had been waiting for prices to go down...I am eating more, too. It's to be cooking and baking so much, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think staying home makes us want to eat more, especially in this stressful time.
      I'll check the prices of Coca Cola stock. Thanks Stephenie. :)

      Delete
  2. I will try this with green mango when the season comes around, this year I got 59kgs of green mangoes given to me. I have some frozen in the freezer so I'll try with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this apple curry! I have some Granny Smith apples in my fridge! I've had green mango curry, of course, but, not green apple curry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nil this looks delicious and will be a very refreshing change from all of the other curries we enjoy. Green apples are always available in the supermarket so next time I go, I'll buy some. Looks like a fantastic and easy recipe.Interesting that it could be varied with coconut milk as well. Take care and thanks so much for sharing, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pauline it is a very easy recipe. I hope you will try it. :)

      Delete
  5. Curry flavors have been one of my adventures while locked down and eating only at home. This is very intriguing.

    They say that the “`19” in COVID-19 is the number of pounds you gain while isolating.

    Be well... mae at maefoood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻