
It has been 12 years since I went to France for my first job after graduation. I didn't realize it until Facebook started posting 'on this day' memories, reminding me of the photos and posts I had posted back then on my account.
I graduated in 2008, in the middle of the financial crisis. After a long search and several interviews, I received two offers. One was a short term job, and the other was a more stable, better paying one. Both in France.
I had done a 5 week internship in a city in South of France, and had already fallen in love with French culture. During my internship, I realized that I enjoyed teaching more than anything else. My field of research required me to work in dark rooms for hours, and the constant pressure to publish, meet deadlines and look for funding did not appeal to me. I wanted to teach, with minimum or no research for a while. I needed to build a strong resume with both teaching and research credentials. So, after thinking long and hard I decided to accept the short term job. It was a postdoctoral researcher position at a university in Paris, employed by CNRS-
the French National Centre for Scientific Research. So a couple of weeks after my PhD defense, I sold / donated most of my stuff, packed two bags and left for France.
It was the beginning of winter. I rented the apartment of a faculty member at the same university who was in a 3 month research training in Boston.
 |
| Neighborhood of my first apartment in Paris |
 |
| First apartment |
The first couple of months were not easy. At work we communicated in English, but it was challenging to navigate everything else with my extremely limited French. However, I found French people to be very polite and helpful when I tried speaking French. My favorite sentences were "Je ne parle pas français. Parlez vous anglais?" 😁 Sometimes I'd memorize what I needed to say, and even write sentences on my palm. With my poor French, I still managed to open a bank account, deal with the post office, and navigate French bureaucracy.
By that time, I had lived away from my family for 6 years. Still, I think the time in France made me more independent and confident. I had colleagues - who later became good friends - who were willing to help me, and a very nice supervisor, but most of the time I enjoyed figuring things out by myself.
I still remember going to the Sunday market, pointing to mushrooms and asking how much those champagne cost! What I meant to say was champignon (mushrooms). 😂 The vendor laughed, but very kindly and patiently wrote the price on a piece of paper. I always had a map of the city, and a compass with me because I often had a hard time figuring out where I was after coming out of an underground metro station. 😀
Almost every weekend I went to visit a new place. I visited almost every museums in the city. Because it was still winter, there were not many tourists and most sites were not crowded. I also took the train to see places like Chateau de Fontainebleau, Chateau de Vincennes, Chateau de Versailles and my favorite - Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte. After a while I knew how to find the correct metro without asking anyone. Sometimes I even helped foreign tourists and that made me so happy. 😊
Three months later I moved to another apartment. It was a small studio apartment, with a two burner stove, a countertop microwave/convection oven, and a small washer under the counter. In that small kitchenette I learned to make crepe, coquille Saint-Jacques,
tartiflette and different types of fish and meat. Sometimes I bought fresh produce from the market, but often I found it easier to go to the nearest Monoprix because it was easier to pick produce without knowing French names. 😄
The new apartment was in Saint-Mandé in the eastern suburbs of Paris, so I took two metro trains to get to work. I used to take a bit longer route so that there was a 5 minute walk between the metro stations. Every morning, when I walked along the Seine I felt it was like a dream. I was living and working in Paris! I enjoyed going to the nearby boulangerie to buy a freshly baked pain au chocolat, and a loaf of baguette on the way home from work.
 |
| Saint-Mandé |
On Wednesdays I went to an evening class to learn French, and during long weekends traveled outside Paris. With three colleagues I took the train to Amsterdam. I flew to Sweden to visit a friend. I went to Nice with another friend whom I met during the internship previous year, and with her and her mom crossed the border to Italy to have a 3 hour lunch. 😀 I think in France people have a better work-life balance than in the United States. My colleagues worked hard, and at the same time they took their vacation time very seriously. No one had their lunch in front of the computer at work. Except me! And they didn't let me do it very long. 😊
 |
| In Italy |
Time flew very quickly, and soon it was time to say good bye to my life in Paris. I could have stayed longer, but a stronger bond called me back to the US. As it often happens in life, bonds and people changed with time, and sometimes I wonder how my life would have been different if I had stayed in Paris.
All this time, I've been dreaming of going back. One of these days I will visit France again. 💗
XXX
Nil
So interesting! You took advantage of your stay there and saw so much! I'm happy it was such a nice time. Andrea
ReplyDeleteYes Andrea. I traveled a lot while in France. There’s a very good public transportation system there, so took advantage of that. 😊
DeleteI did so enjoy reading this piece of your time in Paris. I found it inspiring how you had little French, but managed to navigate around Paris, and worked on learning more French. I liked hearing about the places you visited, and the friends that you made. As I'm really wishing I could travel, this reminded me of the joys of new experiences in other locations and gave me a glimpse of Europe. I liked reading of how supportive people were. Such an enjoyable glimpse of Europe. Jean/Winnipeg
ReplyDeleteIt was a wonderful experience, Jean. At times I struggled because I didn’t know the language, but almost everyone was so helpful.
DeleteI remember when I first bought the monthly metro pass, they told me they would send me the card by mail (at least I think that was what he said) and gave me a temporary receipt. I didn’t know enough French to ask how long it would take. Several days later, I was going to work and there was a group of ticket inspectors at the exit. I tried to explain why I didn’t have a card, but the guy couldn’t understand English, or my part English part French part sign language. Fortunately there was another inspector who could understand English and understood my situation. 😁
That day my supervisor went with me to the nearest metro station, rattled off something in French, and soon I received my card.
Ohhh, Nil, what a beautiful post!!!! How blessed you have been to be able to learn and work and have fun in another country -- and France at that!! I truly enjoyed reading about your time in Paris, and your endeavors to learn and do things on your own is so inspiring. I'm sure there is so much more you could have talked about and shown us... maybe again sometime? Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us! Blessings to you, dear Nil!
ReplyDeleteThank you Diana.
DeleteI wish I had kept a diary or a blog back then. There so many memories- some frustrating, some funny , and mostly happy ones. When looking back, it’s still like a dream.
I will write about my time in France again.
Take care, Diana.
I loved reading this! Have you ever seen the movie "Sliding Doors"? It shows the outcomes of both choices when making a pivotal decision
ReplyDeleteNo Anne, I haven’t seen that movie. I googled it and read the synopsis. For some reason, I’ve never liked Gwyneth Paltrow’s movies. Hehee
DeleteI don’t know why. 😊
Bonjour Nil
ReplyDeleteJe suis française et je lis votre blog et celui de The awakened soul régulièrement et je vous aime beaucoup toutes les deux mais je ne commente pas car je parle très mal anglais 😏
Je suis contente que la France vous plaît et Paris est une ville magnifique. Votre séjour est très bien raconté...
Suivre vos blogs me font voyager également 😉
Bonnes fêtes de fin d'année Nil
Isabelle
Bonjour Isabelle. Merci beaucoup pour votre commentaire.
DeleteVous pouvez commenter en français. Je peux comprendre le sens approximatif.
Parfois , j'utilise la traduction Google. Ja’i fait pour écrire cette réponse. 😁
I listen to a podcast called "the earful tower" by a young man who lives in Paris, but who came from my home towm here in Perth Western Australia. It is a lovely way to imagine life in Paris if you can't be there You should give it a try.
ReplyDeleteThan you earthmotherwithin. I will check that podcast. 😊
DeleteThat was such a fun post, Nil! I enjoyed reading about your time in Paris! Sounds like you made full use of your time there to visit places and do things! I hope you will be able to visit Paris again, someday soon.
ReplyDeleteYes, Bless. That’s the period I traveled the most. There’s something about living in a country while barely speaking their language.
DeleteOnce in a while even hearing someone on the train speaking in English made me happy.
Nil,
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing this part of your life with us. It sounds like a wonderful experience and exciting time as well. My husband lived in Paris for a year and we have visited a few times because he has relatives throughout France.
Judee, it’s wonderful your husband has relatives in France. You get to visit different parts of the country. 😊
DeleteWhat a lovely post. Thanks for sharing your memories of Paris. I have been there a few times and loved it every time.
ReplyDeleteThank you Anita.
DeleteI know someone who went to Paris and said ‘there was nothing to see but old buildings’. I still think he is a nut. LOL
Your life in France sounds picturesque, Nil. The idea of walking the 5 miles between stations along the Seine river sounds lovey. I would like to go there someday. I've heard that the travel time between countries is very minimal too. Italy would be on may list of places to go to as well.
ReplyDeleteOne of the many things I like about living in Paris was the public transportation system. In the US I didn’t have a car for a long time, and without a good public transportation system it was very difficult for me to travel. In Europe countries are closer together so traveling is much easier. Even when you fly, there’s a train/bus station right in the airport so you can take the train or bus very easily. It’s better organized.
DeleteI hope you will soon able to travel to both France and Italy. 😊
How exciting. It sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful time in Paris and I do hope you get to return one day. X
ReplyDeleteI hope so too, Jules. :)
DeleteSuch lovely memories of Paris, Nil. It would have been challenging but so rewarding to live and work and explore such an iconic city. I spent a short time in Paris many years ago and loved the city's gardens, the street crepes with lemon and sugar (they were delicious) and the bookstores. Perhaps, you'll return to Paris one day, Nil.
ReplyDeleteMeg Xx
Oh yes, street crepes with sugar were one of my favorites. I don't remember having them with lemon. I'll remember to try it when I visit Paris again. :)
DeleteNice pics and memories. 💗
ReplyDeleteThanks Akasha. :)
DeleteThis is a wonderful post and I loved reading about your time in Paris and your happy memories of the city. Thanks for sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteIt was really a happy time in my life, Eileen. :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful memory to have and share Nil. I really enjoyed reading about your postdoc in Paris, and how you lived your life there. I am with you on the research front, I gave up research in 2008, briefly went back in 2015 but I am not entirely teaching focused. I do miss the lab and the collegiality but I do not miss worrying about a future grant, or any grant as a matter of fact. I came to Glasgow for my postdoc and never left! I did have a post offered in Strassbourg (France) but it never happened. Here's to us teaching focused academics! Thanks for sharing your story x
ReplyDeleteHi Nil,
ReplyDeleteThis was so different from what you usually post.
I get the feeling that you didn't return to the US 'quite whole', that you left bits of your heart in France. Like others here, I hope you can return to Paris someday and find old loves.
But if you don't, perhaps it will be because your heart has been returned to you.