I was waiting for the usual one week of spring break, and got two weeks! This is going to disrupt the class schedule and final exams, but for now we don't plan to offer classes online. I have seen how some people complain about the closures, but I think it is wise to minimize large public gatherings. No matter how much experts try to warn, there are people who stubbornly refuse to listen.
Yesterday I went for a scheduled medical test. I had made the appointment two months ago, wanting to get it done before the spring break. I noticed that there was less traffic and the clinic was almost empty. At the clinic, everyone had to fill out a form with 3 questions. Whether you have fever, cough, and if you have traveled within the last 14 days. With all the announcements about washing hands, and covering your month when you sneeze and cough, you would think that people would take these advice seriously. But, the lady who sat several chairs away just coughed freely. I was glad that the nurse called me right away, so I didn't have to sit in the waiting room longer. As soon as I came home, I washed everything including my handbag.
You would think that I'm paranoid. 😉 But what I see and hear around me have confirmed that there are very irresponsible people out there. There's this guy who flew from New York to Florida, while waiting for his COVID -19 results. Some are complaining about having to change their holiday plans, while others insist that they are going ahead with their plans because this is just another flu. Ignoring experts' advice is foolish. China did it in the very beginning, ignoring a doctor's concerns about an outbreak. By the time they locked down areas, it was too late. Italians ignored warnings and finally had to lock down the entire country. Large groups of Sri Lankans left Italy before the lock down, and went to Sri Lanka. There's a mandatory quarantine period for anyone traveling from affected countries, but some went to Sri Lanka before it was implemented. Now, there are 6 confirmed cases in Sri Lanka.
I think it’s wise to avoid large crowds if possible. I read that some church leaders chose to close churches. They are very responsible. What if one person without even knowing carries the virus and spread it around? That’s what happened in S. Korea , where one person - now known as patient 31- infected hundreds of churchgoers. She thought she had cold, and because she hadn’t traveled recently, refused to get tested and attended church services and went out. People can be asymptotic , or can self-diagnose inaccurately.
This morning I woke up with a slight headache. Thinking about the coughing lady at the clinic, I checked my temperature. It was normal. Whew! I'm not in the high risk group. But I don't want to be an asymptotic carrier and infect innocent people who are at risk. While at the clinic I asked how to get tested for COVID-19 if needed. I thought every medical clinic would be able to do the tests. However they told me that you have to contact the county health department, and only if you have severe symptoms you would get a test. So, you cannot get a test just because you want to, at least where I live.
If we all can avoid unnecessary gatherings, people who must be working outside will be safer. Hospitals won't be overwhelmed with patients as in Italy.
So I'm staying home. I've always been a homebody anyway. 😊
Take care everyone, and be safe.
XX
Nil
I'm a homebody to. Not worried about the virus, but about people who are reacting in fear & ignorance. Hoarding, panic and fear stricken. An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure, it's an old saying, but it is true. Preparation for things like this, we'll get through it. Hope you continue to be well.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting!!!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is the naive, and just plain stupid people, who put us all, at risk. -sigh-
How unbelievable it is, to have people complain about a vacation disruption. Lives are at stake here.
I fully agree with not being able to just-go-get-the-test. Only if you exhibit real, and sever symptoms. I fully agree. It is common sense, to me. There are still plenty of regular Flu germs out there. 'Causing not nearly as severe symptoms. If every one with a cold, uses the testing, it will not be there, for the real cases.
I know that there are real horror stories, of how this disease has spread. But are you sure, things like... "A man flew, while waiting for his test results".. is a true/real happening? Somehow it sounds like some awful, untrue thing, which would be circulated on Facebook.... Where there are many weird people, along with the nice people.
Our college age 'grands' are having on-line teaching for the rest of the semester. Perhaps your college will have to do this...
You are using common sense precautions. And you are young. You will be fine. Gentle hugs...
Stay wise.
Stay calm.
Stay safe.
Courage!
🍃🌱🌷🌱🍃
I love staying at home, too, Nil. We live alone, so I would think that we are very low risk. The one positive is that there is less traffic on the freeways in Los Angeles.
ReplyDeleteWe have someone at church who, when he has to cough (and mind you, this cough is not a seasonal illness...it just is a problem with his lungs) he walks outside each time to cough. Very considerate of him and he doesn't even have any illness that is contagious. I heard that to get the test, besides having the symptoms associated with this, you also have to have a flu test to rule that out first. It seems that most people have that or other illnesses and are panicking. Regardless, I feel just assume you (I...anyone not you ...) might have it and stay inside. Andrea
ReplyDeleteI don't think you are being paranoid, at all, Nil. According to what I've read, both covid-19 and the flu are respiratory illnesses and covid-19 can show flu-like symptoms; however, they are two different types of viruses, and, therefore, covid-19 is NOT another type of flu. So, until we learn more about covid-19, it is best to take all precautionary measures as far as we are able to. Hope your headache is gone by now. Enjoy the unexpected benefit of having two weeks off to stay home and relax. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a homebody too, Nil, and know that if we need to stay home for prolonged periods of time that there will be lots we can do behind our blue gates. I'm sure you'll make the most of the two weeks you have now at home. Meg:)
ReplyDeleteMe too, I love my home.
ReplyDeleteI am limiting my exposure to others, without being completely in isolation. Thinking of doctors and nurses and others on the front line.
I just got an extended spring break as well. And I don't blame you one bit for being proactive. That and staying home is the best way to help everyone right now.
ReplyDeleteI agree, happy to be at home, plenty to keep me occupied, and I think we all have a responsibility to ensure we do all we can to stop it as much as we can. Have a good break Nil.
ReplyDeleteNil, I am more concerned about my 83 year old sister as she has been shut in for two weeks after having surgery done but now will want to get back to her usual routine of being out and about. Hopefully she will take the warnings seriously.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your two weeks of spring break! It's odd how some people don't take it seriously while others hoard massive quantities of toilet paper. The governor here shutdown all k-12 schools for at least two weeks. We are to start online instruction by Wednesday and go through at least April 8th.
ReplyDeleteWe are staying home here too and have no problem with that. :)
ReplyDeleteWe are staying home as well. All of the activities we had planned were cancelled. Adequate food and supplies are here and my garden and yard always need some additional tending. And we have plenty of books to read. Enjoy the extra week of spring break!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to stay at home if I have to so am not worried about that side of things. Until we get to that stage in the UK I plan to start limiting social contact where I think it is necessary.
ReplyDeleteMy main concern is the number of seemingly intelligent people I know who are not taking it seriously with no thought of how their lack of care will impact on others.
an excellent idea Nil, to stay home. i can't believe how people are just disregarding the advice and going out! it's madness. and very selfish. yep i love the idea of just cocooning at home for a while. Perfect! stay wel..
ReplyDeleteStaying home is not an issue with us either and those who cannot handle self-isolation should try it and not ignore the wearnings. We are older but thankfully do not have any pre-existing medical issues. That said we have always been careful to hand wash, cover when coughing - things your mother always told you to do 😉 Nearly everything here in NH has been either shut down, cancelled, postponed. The only thing that's most worrisome is the panic buying many folks seem to be doing. Thankfully, we live in an apt and that in itself is limiting. Glad to see the pineapple and hope it continues growing.
ReplyDelete