Monday, March 16, 2020

The First Pineapple & Papayas!

I had a very productive weekend. 

I dusted all plantation shutters, vacuumed and mopped floors, did two loads of laundry, and weeded the raised beds.  I had neglected the yard for a while and it showed. Lubber grasshoppers are appearing again, they have eaten brussels sprouts in one of the raised bed.

However, there's good news too. One of the pineapple plants has a tiny fruit! 


The first pineapple. :)

And there are several tiny papayas on two trees. I know that sometimes these little fruits fall prematurely, so I'm not sure if I will get a good papaya. But it is so exciting to see these fruits. 

Papaya.

It seems that the passion fruit season is over. I made juice from the last several fruits.


Passion fruit juice.

I picked a bunch of mustard greens, brussels sprout leaves and moringa leaves, and sauteed them with garlic, salt and pepper. It's nice to have fresh greens from the garden, especially because I want to reduce the number of shopping trips.  

I am reading the last chapter of A Stranger in Mayfair. I already downloaded Gone Before Christmas, another Charles Lenox mystery. All other ebooks by Charles Finch are not available at the moment. I need to find another good mystery series. 

I also completed the 2020 census online. It took less than 10 minutes.

I hope you all had a relaxing weekend. Take care all. 🌻🌻🌻


This week I'm grateful for:
1) daylight saving (it’s not dark anymore when I come home from work. 😊)
2) the first home grown pineapple and possibly papayas. 
3) stockpile of food.
4) having a good health insurance plan.
5) a safe trip to the clinic.
6) long sleeps.
7) leftovers.

XX

Nil

27 comments:

  1. I would be very excited to get my first pineapple, or papaya. The squirrels get all of my apples before they ripen and my pear trees have yet to produce. Maybe this will be the magic year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that’s too bad, Anne. Can you use a net? I’ve seen some people cover entire trees with nets to protect fruits from birds.

      Delete
  2. How exciting to see the pineapple and papayas forming! That passion fruit juice looks so fresh and such a lovely color, too! And how wonderful to be able to pick greens from your garden to saute.

    You did have a very productive weekend! I, on the other hand, turned into a slug! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s ok to be a slug every one and then, Bless. I do it more often than I should. 😁

      Delete
  3. I love Brussels sprouts. Those grasshoppers know a yummy thing when they see it. The baby pineapple is so cute.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love Brussels sprouts, Priscilla. Unfortunately I think the weather is getting warmer and I don’t think there’s enough time for a crop.

      Delete
  4. Oh, your little pineapple is so cute, Nil. Sounds like you were busy this weekend. That's a great way to pass the time. I'm going to check out filling out the census online. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Filling the census online is so easy, Belinda. You only need the number on the document that you received.

      Delete
  5. That's the cutest little pineapple! I hope you get to harvest a papaya this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful happenings!!!!

    A balm, for trying times!!!!!

    A good news post!!!!


    Hooray, hooray, hooray!!!!


    Stay wise, clam, safe.
    Turn off the 😱screaming😱 sources.
    Listen to your local County Public Health source.
    πŸƒπŸŒ·πŸŒ±πŸŒ·πŸƒ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being home has its upsides don't you agree, Nil? If you are looking for another mystery series, you might check into Donna Leon;s Inspector Brunetti series. There are 20 books and the setting is Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve read two Inspector Brunetti books, Beatrice. I do like them, but I prefer old English settings more. 😊

      Delete
  8. I agree with Beatrice -the Inspector Brunetti series is good, but so is Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t read Inspector Gamache. I’ll check if our library has it. Thanks earthmotherwithin. 😊

      Delete
  9. I love your pineapple! And the juice...such a pretty color. I did the census also...looked like a lot of pages but just for extra people in the household...very quick after all for two of us. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrea. It’s only me here, so it was very short. 😊

      Delete
  10. Your homegrown fruit looks fantastic! Congratulations. That makes me want to try growing pineapple. I have some rhubarb that's popping up in the potager garden. We are getting so much wonderful rain. It will really help the fruit trees this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted the crowns of store bought pineapples, Stephenie. I didn’t expect a fruit this soon.

      I wish we had rain. We didn’t get rain for a while now.

      Delete
  11. isn't it fabulous to have your own produce growing? makes you feel virtuous and useful too. stay well in this crisis.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sherry. With all the stressful news going around, these are like little bright spots.

      Delete
  12. Mar. 17th
    Re: your comment on my blog..... Yes, we have E-books on our tablets. Due to my husband's deteriorated eyesight, it's the only way he can read books. And I have gotten quite a few myself. -smile-

    Diana.... You were a teen, but I was a married woman. And I was totally besotted with her!!!!! -smile- Collected magazines with articles on her!!!!!!!! Such a sad end...

    Have you watched any of the netflix things, on her and on the Royal Family? It's very interesting to see how different shows, take a different view of her. but of course, isn't that the way, with most everything? People seeeeeee, according to their own convictions. -sigh-

    I do hope your family is fine.....

    Gentle hugs...

    Stay wise, clam, safe.
    Turn off the 😱screaming😱 sources.
    Listen to your local County Public Health source.
    πŸƒπŸŒ·πŸŒ±πŸŒ·πŸƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch all Netflix shows about the royal family, before I cancelled the subscription.

      Thank you Wisps, my family is doing well. πŸ₯°

      Delete
  13. Mar. 17th

    Thank you for commenting the GOOD things happening, in your area. Amid this very trying time.

    Perhaps you could do a short post, telling your other Dear Readers....? -smile-

    Stay safe and calm...
    🌱🌱🌱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to write a blog post today, but I was too lazy. LOL
      Maybe tomorrow.... 😊

      Delete
  14. Wow, that pineapple plant is amazing. You must have a way with plants. Love the papayas, too.

    ReplyDelete

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I'd love to read your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. ❤️❤️❤️

Please do not spam or add links to your comments as they will not be published.

🌻 Comments are moderated manually, so it will take several hours for them to appear. 🌻