![]() |
| Elder flowers. |
I've been practicing social distancing. 😊 In fact, I didn't go out at all for 5 days now. During a regular spring break I would take a day trip, go to a couple of thrift stores etc. But this time, it's not a normal spring break. We are encouraged to minimize unnecessary travel, and to practice social distancing.
Yesterday the governor of our state issued new restrictions. All bars and nightclubs must close for 30 days, and restaurants must limit their capacity to 50%. He did not close beaches though. I saw on TV that beaches were crowded. I do not understand the mentality of these people who are so reluctant to change their lifestyle even just a little bit during a pandemic. They must have their spring break fun. Today our mayor closed all beaches in the area. I'm glad she did that. Some politicians' actions remind me of the movie Jaws and the mayor of Amity Island.
There are 13 confirmed COVID-19 cases in our county. Out county health department website is so confusing. It's very difficult to find anything there, and it hasn't been updated in 10 days. The state website is much better, and easy to navigate, and it directs viewers to COVID-19 information right away.
In addition to checking the situation here, I pay attention to the situation in Sri Lanka. They have a very good tracker that updates frequently. Not only it shows the number of tests done, confirmed cases, and recovered cases, they break it down by the district, hospital, patient age and gender. As of today, there are 52 confirmed cases and 3 have recovered. I think it's important to let the public know about recoveries as well, so it's not all doom and gloom. The first COVID -19 patient in our county is fully recovered now.
I'm concerned about my mom, because she is almost 70 and has asthma problems. I asked my sister not to take mom shopping (they like to go the weekly organic market together) and minimize the number of visitors. The Sri Lankan government closed all schools and universities, banned incoming flights for 2 weeks, and declared a 3 day holiday period to minimize public interactions. While most took it seriously, some went on trips! Perhaps what these people need is not a day off, but a new brain!
My heart goes out to the people who have lost jobs or have reduced hours due to closures. There are some relief measures. Our utility company has suspended disconnections for non-payment through March. My cell phone company has upgraded plans to unlimited data for free until mid May. If every cell phone provider does that, it will help students who need to take classes online. Evictions in my county have been suspended until mid April. Internet providers won't cut off internet for unpaid bills for 60 days. Many charity organizations are experiencing a shortage of volunteers, and they expect less donations during this difficult financial time. I know I'm much poorer than I was a month ago due to the recent market crash. But I'm still fortunate to have a steady income, and I have time to wait for a market upturn. So I plan to continue my annual donation to Meals on Wheels in memory of my dad.
I'm preparing for the possibility of online classes. It's not easy to offer labs online, especially right now. I already wrote one lab, and have a plan for another. I think we should be fine. I will miss seeing my students though.
I planted leek seedlings in pots, and weeded around the kitchen door. The yard guy usually comes in the 2nd week of the month, but he didn't come yet.
I also started a new book. 😊
How about you? Are you practicing social distancing? Stay safe all. 💝
XXX
Nil

I definitely am, Nil. Sometimes I forget, though, once I start talking. I have stayed home. I only go out to run the dog on my bicycle, and to garden. I am watching the numbers and changes carefully. I did go to a store near my home today and bought lots of vegetable plants, herbs, and more fruit trees. I was the only one there. You and I are lucky to live alone and to have space. In so many places, people live in cramped conditions, piled on top of each other. I think that has a lot to do with the virus spreading.
ReplyDeleteYes, Stephenie. I read that it's especially hard for families with several kids to stay home all the time. We are lucky that we have hobbies such as gardening, knitting/crocheting etc, so we don't get bored. :)
DeleteSounds like you are doing very well with social distancing, staying home! I was going to do that, too, but, I went out two days, this week! Oops! On Monday, I went to drop off my tax documents and to the grocery store; today, I went back to the tax office and then, to the post office to mail my daughter's tax forms to her! But, I will be staying home from now on!
ReplyDeleteContinue to stay home and take care of yourself.
Those are essential tasks, Bless. I think in that case you should be fine if you keep a safe distance from others.
DeleteStay safe.
Semi. I'm not in a 'high risk' group and am continuing with a few safe things but it's still distancing with plenty of space. Shopping I am doing as early as possible before the crowds build up. The rest of the time I'm staying away from people apart from close family - and we've stopped hugging for a while.
ReplyDeletexx
Yes, shopping early is a good way to avoid crowds.
DeleteThank you for reading and commenting, Joy. :)
Here in Australia, Nil, restrictions on gatherings, travel etc. are tightening as our government tries to slow the spread of the virus. There is a lot of concern, as there is around the world, as to the economic impacts too. It's going to be really difficult for many in our communities here. I feel that our household is relatively resilient and also ready to help our neighbours, friends and community too.
ReplyDeleteI am planting out our Autumn veg seedlings into our veg patch over the next few days and that should mean some more fresh produce coming from the garden over the next few months. I am still picking and eating lots of ceylon spinach and herbs. I have been able to use fresh bay leaves and herbs in soups and stews which I've made and frozen for those times when we may not be feeling well.
Meg:)
Yes, Meg. The economic impacts are enormous. It will take a very long time to recover from that.
DeleteI'm glad you are preparing for Autumn gardening. I sowed tomato seeds, and need to start more vegetable seedlings soon.
Yes Iam Nil, but I'm pretty much a homebody anyway, and I have plenty to keep me busy but I do miss my friends and neighbours popping in for a cuppa and a chat. We don't have any cases near me yet, but I'm still being careful, we get a lot of tourists here. Stay well.
ReplyDeleteTourists are the ones who usually bring the virus to a community, Nanette. That's what happened here. Now it's community spread and hard to trace.
DeleteStay safe.
I have started exercising social distancing, I'm lucky to be able to just make that decision, I'm glad most of my charity shop colleagues have done the same thing. Dan should be starting to work from home from tomorrow, but as he works for the local authority there are lots of things to arrange.
ReplyDeleteMy brother and his partner are both classed as key workers, his partner works in social care and my brother works in warehousing for one of the large supermarkets so he is exceptionally busy. I spoke to my mum last night, my dad is unwell so I have been very concerned, but seems to be recovering now (not with the virus) but my mum is exhausted and was in tears, she has managed to get hold of some groceries and a volunteer group popped a card through her door offering a friendly phone call or to deliver groceries and medications.That has put my mind at ease.
Hope everyone stays happy and healthy during this time.
I'm glad to hear that your dad is recovering. It's hard for old people when they live by themselves. It's so nice your mom has a volunteer group to talk to.
DeleteI think your state is starting what our states up here have been doing for at least a week already. I agree...in this age of computer technology, the governments are not doing a good job on their websites updating us! They are generally updating, but I think it would be good to know what specific areas/towns have cases so we can stay away if it is nearby! Andrea
ReplyDeleteSometimes business interests win, Andrea. Especially in areas where tourism is the main source of income.
DeleteI don't get why people are allowed to cavort on the beaches in huge groups, but small churches have to close?
ReplyDeleteSomething is wrong with that mentality.
I think they are trying to be safe, Toni. Even if it's small church, you never know if one person is carrying the virus. There are people who must go to work, they have to go to buy food, so it's really hard to completely avoid people. If one picks up the virus, it's easy to spread it around. It's not easy to sit 6 feet away from one another at a church.
DeleteWe are staying put at home as well. I saw pictures of Miami Beach on the news and was amazed at the crowds of young people.
ReplyDeleteYes, locals are furious and blaming the mayors for not closing beaches early.
DeleteI fall into the high risk group so am actually optiing for social isolation rather than social distancing. I'm in the same position as you as I live alone but am in the more fortunate position of being retired so I don't have any work responsibilities. I will only need to arrange online shopping for food but know that I have offers of support from nephews if this should go wrong in any way. xx
ReplyDeleteMake sure to wipe the packages well, and then wash your hands Eileen.
DeleteI'm glad your nephews are there to help you if needed.
Stay safe.
Thank you for your update!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes for your mother!
As you know, I post daily.
These people who do not follow Guidelines, are KILLERS. PLain and simple.
Love and Courage
🌱 🌱 🌱
Thank you Wisps. xxx
DeleteYou must be concerned about your mother but it sounds like she is taking the necessary precautions. I like how the recovered cases are being reported, as that will be reassuring to many.
ReplyDeleteThe schools close here tomorrow, so we will be home schooling until further notice. All other activities have been cancelled. X
Yes, Jules. Mom is taking precautions. My sister takes good care of her. :)
DeleteI just stocked up on groceries and stuff to work on my new garden. I plan to stay home except for walking the dog in the park. Teaching online will keep me busy, but I hope to spend plenty of time working in the soon to be garden. Converting labs to online is tough, and I'm not a fan of them, but no choice at this point. I'm also not a fan of making video lectures, but after doing two, I think I'll get more comfortable with them. I've made a rule that I get one shot at recording otherwise perfectionism would take over and I would spend hours on one lecture.
ReplyDeleteWe just heard from the college, and we are also going online. I have 11 days to prepare.
DeleteI remember teaching hybrid classes several years ago. I spent too much time editing videos, it was so time consuming and stressful. I'm wondering if I can use Skype meetings at least once a week during the regular class time. I have to see how to do it.
Your observations about how people ignore warnings are very interesting. The example of some of the country's leaders, who have been saying the problem isn't really important, doesn/t make a very useful model, so maybe they are following that.
ReplyDeletebest... mae at maefood.blogspot.com
Yes Mae. There are people who still believe this is a conspiracy. The entire world is suffering, shutting down cities disregarding the severe economical impact they face. Still there are people who believe it’s just a flu. Unbelievable!
Deleteit is all very worrying Nil. i think our government has done well in setting all sorts of limits on gatherings etc. silly people are still going to the beach tho so they may have to shut them down too. i am going a bit stir crazy at home. there's only so many times you can stare at the paintings on the walls...:) hope you're going well cheers sherry
ReplyDelete