![]() |
| The peahen is back. |
I had a busy and productive week.
The week started with good news. Every year I donate to the college's scholarship fund. This year there's a weekly drawing for a $50 gift card to encourage more donations, and I won one of the gift cards. 😄 I rarely win lotteries, raffles etc, so I was very excited to see my name on the list. 😁
I took the car for the scheduled maintenance. I made the appointment at 7 am, and it took about 1 1/2 hours. My credit union opened a new branch closer to me, so after the appointment, I went to check it out. It's so convenient to have a branch just a mile away from home.
I have been so busy lately, I completely forgot to pay last month's internet bill. All other bills are paid automatically, and this is the only bill I pay manually. When I received the latest bill, I was surprised to see a large amount. Then I saw that I hadn't paid the last month's bill and they had added a $8.99 late fee. I went to my account online, and chatted with a customer service rep. Because I have never been late before, I asked if he could waive the fee. He took off $10. I promptly paid the full amount. I think I should set up auto pay. I didn't so far because each year internet bill goes up, and when I pay manually it forces me to check the bill and notice the increase. Then I call and ask for a discount.
On Friday, the temperature dropped to upper 30s Fahrenheit. That's way too cold for me to work outside. It lasted through the weekend. I made fried rice, chicken curry, lentil curry, fried eggplant salad, and invited a friend for lunch.
![]() |
| Fried eggplant salad. |
![]() |
| Black eyed peas sauteed with onions, chili peppers, and grated coconut for a weekend breakfast. |
I am so tired by the time I get home after work, I don't do much. I am still reading The Fleet Street Murders. Today I finally finished the towel topper. I weaved the ends and added a button. It doesn't look as nice as the photo shown in the pattern. Even the smallest towel is too heavy for the topper, and it sags. 😕
![]() |
| Crocheted towel topper. |
I went to several stores, and bought extra food for the stockpile. Though not panicking, I wanted to avoid crowded areas as much as possible. Last week, we were told that the college had formed a task force to plan for any Corona virus outbreak. So far there are no confirmed cases in the state, though the governor had said they were monitoring 150 for any symptoms, and several people were waiting for test results. I have been using hand sanitizer more often, and even wore disposable gloves when grading tests. Better safe than sorry.
How about you? Have you done anything to prepare for a possible Corona outbreak?
P.S. Two cases of Corona virus have been confirmed in Florida.
This week I'm grateful for:
1) winning a $50 gift card.
2) garlic bread from a friend.
3) free magazines from the library.
4) a short work day.
5) the car in good condition.
6) the stockpile of food.
7) a quiet Sunday.
XX
Nil




Congratulations on winning the weekly drawing! That peahen looks like she feels quite at home in your garden! Maybe she'll nest there and you'll find little peachicks running around! Sounds like you've had a busy week. I think it is hard to get anything done during the week when one is working - I know I could never get a lot done during the work week and then, I wouldn't be happy about spending the weekend doing housework! That crocheted towel topper looks nice - I watched some of the video and thought of giving it a try. I'm sorry to hear that it sags when you put the towel in, however.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get a good deal on the flight tickets when you do book them. I keep a stockpile on hand at all times to be prepared for emergencies/earthquakes. I haven't bought anything specifically for the Corona virus outbreak, however. Good idea to wear the disposable gloves when marking tests, just in case. Hope all will be well and you will be protected from catching anything.
Thank you Bless.
DeleteThere's no peacock in the area, only two peahens. So I don't think I'll see any chicks. :)
Another US blog I follow had talked about her stockpile shopping in case of a corona outbreak. We're not at that point yet, but I understand the need for caution and to be prepared. Your home cooked meal looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteI bought the things I usually buy, so in the worst case scenario I have food for about a month. :)
DeleteCongratulations on winning the $50 gift card, Nil. That is so neat. That peahen is a beautiful bird. That is a great idea to wear gloves while grading papers.
ReplyDeleteThank you Belinda. :)
DeleteCongrats on winning a gift card and getting the $10 refunded on your internet bill. It's also nice to have your bank so close to home, saves time when you need to run errands. I automate everything except my credit card bill because it changes monthly and I want to check the charges, which is my reminder to go and pay it now! I haven't done anything like stockpiling or really paying too much attention to the news about the coronavirus yet. I figure the best I can do at the moment is take care of myself (trying to get enough sleep, eating healthy, washing hands) to hopefully have a healthy immune system.
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie. I have setup text and email notices on each credit card, and when I make a purchase I receive a text and an email. So I can track the charges.
DeleteYou are right, a having a healthy immune system is very important. I eat healthy and wash hands often, but getting enough sleep is another matter. :)
Your dishes look as always delicious, I'd be happy to come over for lunch. I hope you can spend your gift card in any shop you like? I can see some nice yarn in your near future :-)
ReplyDeleteWith regards to wearing gloves, these often give a false sense of security, you are just as likely to spread pathogens to other surfaces with the gloves, and you are just as likely to touch your face (something people do without even noticing). I worked with infectious microorganisms for years and frequent glove changes was part of our safety routine. Unless you are able to change your gloves often (which can be pricy), it might be better to have a very good hand hygiene practice and try to avoid touching your face. We wash your hands under running water with plenty of ordinary soap and lather the entire hand, including in between your fingers and rinse thoroughly. To dry, we use a paper towel or a clean dishtowel. Fingers crossed we can slow down the outbreak to help the health care systems cope.
It's an Amazon gift card, Christina. And I already spent it. :)
DeleteThank you very much for the information about using gloves. I can get disposable gloves from the lab, but because I have no practice using them, it is better to wash hands thoroughly.
You are welcome at anytime for a meal at my place. :)
Hooray for the win!
ReplyDeleteAnd nice that you didn't have to pay the whole over-due penalty.
And yes, we have made prudent prep, for the possibility... And your disposable gloves while grading, is a wise move. Here, we wear our gloves, all the time, when out. Since it's still basically winter, we "can." But in warm climate, I would wear disposable gloves, when out.
Use sensible precautions. Without panic. Wise, it seems.
And yes, I'd wait on preparations for your yearly trip. Travel is too uncertain.
Gentle hugs...
Almost every student is sniffling around me. I'm sure it's common cold, but with all the news about Corona, I notice these sniffle more than ever. :)
DeleteWonderful for you to win a gift card, Nil. Your generosity is being repaid back to you! As far as preparedness for Coronavirus goes, I have added a few more things to my stockpile that I would not normally purchase, e.g. long-life milk, but that I am sure we will use at some point. We have also decided, at this point, not to book a holiday we were considering taking mid-year. Taking a wait and see approach! Meg:)
ReplyDeleteIt's wise to wait and see before booking a holiday, Meg. Here' some airlines have cancelled trips to China and Italy.
DeletePeople have started panic buying here in preparation for a Corona virus outbreak. Hand sanitiser is sold out in some places but of course people can always use soap but it is convenient to carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser in one's purse. Time will tell what is going to happen I guess.
ReplyDeleteOh, it's the same here, Chel. Can't find hand sanitizer anywhere.
DeleteCongratulations on winning the $50 gift card!! Your internet company is a very nice one to offer a discount! I think it's a good idea to use the gloves for now anyway. Take care!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Angela.
DeleteMy internet company is nice as long as I talk to them and ask for discounts. Otherwise they keep increasing prices. Hehee :)
Congratulations on winning the gift card.
ReplyDeleteI haven't done anything in preparation for a possible coronavirus outbreak. There have been two cases confirmed in local towns, both people have recently returned from Asia. I have to do my monthly shop this week so may buy extra to avoid going into town too often.
It’s a good idea to have a stockpile of food enough for 2-3 weeks, Eileen. Panic buying of hand sanitizer and toilet paper has already started here.
DeleteThat peahen is beautiful. What a great shot. I did buy extra groceries last week, and am adding to my stockpile. I was planning to take a cruise to Vancouver this year. At this point I am still going to go. Hopefully the number of cases won't skyrocket. I don't think I would want to get on a plane, though. I always seem to catch something when I fly. Other than that, I rarely if ever even get a cold. You sound busy and happy. Nice meals that you are cooking, too.
ReplyDeleteCruises also can be incubators, so wait and see how things turn out. I recently read about how passengers were improperly quarantined in Diamond Princess cruise ship.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about flying. I always catch a cold after a long flight.
Yum, so many good things to eat, love garlic bread and all types of curry☺
ReplyDelete😊😊
DeleteCongrats on winning a gift certificate. How fun. Enjoy it. I've never seen a peahen before..
ReplyDeleteThanks Judee.
DeleteI didn’t know it was a peahen, until Bless told me. Initially I thought it was a weird turkey. 🤣
Yes, it’s always nice to get unexpected good news like that $50 gift card, congrats to you, Nil. Maybe the peahen will stay around for more photos😉. We have some stockpiled items in the form of canned tomatoes and beans, tuna and peanut butter. I agree about avoiding crowds, which I try to do in most cases. Washing hands should always be a personal hygiene matter, and not something people suddenly start doing, but whatever works for them is good.
ReplyDeleteThanks Beatrice.
DeleteIt’s true about washing hands. My mom taught me and my sisters to wash hands as soon as we came home, before eating even a snack etc. So it’s a habit for me. The bad thing is that I tend to touch my face a lot. I’m trying hard not to do it now.
We've never paid our bills by automatic payment. I know lots of people do that, but I'm holding out to the end. LOL
ReplyDeleteCongrats on winning thr gift card.
Thanks Toni. :)
DeleteI have a friend who doesn't doesn't do anything online, except using an email account. Nothing wrong with that.:)
I am overjoyed to be back with you. It has lifted my spirits today. Thank you for commenting to let me know..I guess then it is resolved. (Snoopy Dance) That eggplant sounds really good. You have had a busy week. I'm not concerned about the Carona Virus at all. More people die from the regular flu..how are those flu shots working out for everybody?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to fix your blog problem, Faith.
DeleteThe annual flu shot doesn't work for all types of flu viruses. So if the virus that circulating doesn't match the shot, you would still get flu. Viruses are adapting and changing each year, so producing a 100% effective flu shot is not possible. :)
You have been busy. I love eggplant, and now you have me craving it!
ReplyDeleteHope you were able to satisfy your craving, Susanne. :)
DeleteEggplant is one of my favorite vegetables, and fired ones are especially good.
I have prepped for the virus should it arrived here. It is spreading around Australia more everyday. It is certainly a worrying virus and I don't want to catch it. My immune system is a bit low so I am madly trying to build it up to fight of any infections. I think it is going to be a terrible winter, flu wise this year.
ReplyDeleteWe are due for holidays in May/June this year and were going to travel, but have decided to put it on hold for now.
Love the look of the eggplant salad and the towel topper. Gorgeous peahen also.
Well done on winning the $50 voucher.
Take care Nil,
xTania
Try to avoid crowds as much as possible, Tania. Especially because you have low immunity.
ReplyDeleteSo far, from the reported cases it does have a higher mortality rate than regular flu, and the concerning thing is that a person can be asymptomatic and still be contagious.
I hope it will be contained as much as possible.
Take care. xxx
i was interested to see your australian tea towel Nil. a gift? or did you visit? impossible to get toilet paper here in the shops. goodness knows what people think they need so much for...
ReplyDeleteHi Sherry, I’ve visited Australia twice, but this tea towel is a gift from a forum member. 😊
DeleteJust today I talked to one of my friends in Melbourne and she was telling me about the toilet paper shortage over there. I hope you have enough. 😀